1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grammostola spec formosa "Uruguay White Hair"

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Trav, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Trav

Trav Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Grammostola spec formosa "Paraguay White Hair"

Anybody own one of these? I can't find alot of info on this T. Is there another name for it?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  2. Tie Black

Tie Black Arachnopeon

Its basically a G.pulchra, with long white setae covering the entire body.
    Some dealers label it G.pulchra "Formosa". I suppose because thats where they are collected from.
    Same temperament and size as G.pulchra.
    Nice spider.

3. Zoltan

Zoltan Cult Leader

4. hairmetalspider

hairmetalspider Arachnoprince Old Timer

Do you have more information on this?

I'm curious to see it, as setae is usually used for adhesive purposes, and I don't see why it would have it on it's entire body, or mixed in with urticating hairs.

5. crpy

crpy Arachnoking

I think you might be confusing sculpulae (splg?)

6. hairmetalspider

I'm not the one who said it.

7. Tie Black

Tie Black Arachnopeon

Any more information?
    They come from Paraguay, Formosa: Check region information for climate.
    Take a look at caresheets for G.pulchra.....and do the same.

Well there was a post after mine with 2 links to pretty good photos of this species. ;)
    I can only help you further with an old exuvium picture:
    [​IMG]

I suppose if you were looking in the "harware" section of Wikipedia, you might have come upon the literal definition of setae as being a stiff bristle, as in the setae of a scrubbing brush....but if you happened to browse further down, to the "animal" definition, you might find some other answers to your question.

8. Tie Black

Tie Black Arachnopeon

Nope...definately didn't mean sculpulae. I'm new to all this, and I've never even heard of sculpulae to be honest.

9. crpy

crpy Arachnoking

I'm curious to see it, as setae is usually used for adhesive purposes, and I don't see why it would have it on it's entire body, or mixed in with urticating hairs.

I was replying to this;)

10. hairmetalspider

I was directly asking for information regarding the 'setae'.
    I am unaware of what Wikipedia has to offer, as many of their articles are questionable, but I've always know setae to mean something other than what is suggested here. (Referring to yes, bristle like hairs, used to help move, catch prey, or hold.)
    I've only heard the term a seta (setae) referred to as 'hair' in loose terms to explain things quickly to people.
    I don't see why these hair-esque strands would be any different than a normal urticating hair, or normal trichobothria.

11. crpy

crpy Arachnoking

Just clearing my replies,
    Tie Black: you are correct in using setae.

HRMTL:
    crpy: I think you mean Sulpulae

crpy: sculpulae is a term for:"adhesive hair" on the tarsus, not setae. Just for conversation sake, no big deal

12. Zoltan

Zoltan Cult Leader

I'm not sure what crpy meant, but if he is referring to the tufts of "hair" on the ventral side of the tarsus and metatarsus, the correct spelling is "scopula" (plural scopulae). You might heard of it like that I guess.

13. hairmetalspider

If you'll kindly re-read the conversation, I never once stated a tarantula has setae. (On the tarsus nor anywhere, which was my original question.)

I questioned another members response, as I've various other explanations have been suggested, in this post alone I see.

What I did state however, is the correct definition for setae, period. You'll find the more common examples of this to be on creatures such as earthworms and geckos, as it is visibly seen and/or felt.
    When I stated that it is used for adhesive purposes, I was referring to the definition in general. (i.e.-I assume you've seen a reptile scale a side.) I'm assuming by your response that you associated it with my response to a tarantula specifically, which was incorrect.

And for the record, I don't know. Thus, why I'm here. I would have assumed that any 'hair' esque strands on them would either be urticating,trichobothria, or, as I've now learned, scopula.

EDIT:Just went back and re-read it, and saw your post explaining the assumption. Perhaps my writing was not clear, but this was not what I was referring to.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008
  14. crpy

crpy Arachnoking

yeah, thats what I meant,lol, I told ya I didn't know the spelling:)

15. Moltar

Moltar ArachnoGod

Oh good grief, way to get off track you guys.

Scopulae are the hairs on the tarsus that do the gripping. Setae are the longer hairs on the abdomen and legs that are often pink or red (or in this case, white). I believe these are in fact sensory organs that detect air movement. And if we're going for accuracy here, tarantulas don't actually have hair at all but instead bristles.

Anywayyyy... What I'm curious to know is if the tarantula in question is a distinct species or is it a color form of G pulchra? It's schweet lookin' whatever it is...

16. hairmetalspider

Is this setae then different than the small, microscopic ones you can find on verts and such? Or simply bigger?

17. crpy

crpy Arachnoking

Yep, Scolpulae is for gripping, setae is generally used for those other hairs.

But again ,I'm not angry, I'm just posting for conversation sake but I guess its hard to interpret though the type:)

18. hairmetalspider

I was under the impression there were several different types of 'hair', or bristles on a T.

-Urticating (Defensive)
    -Scolpulae (Gripping)
    -Setae (I have no idea)
    -Trichobothria (The rest of the fine, thin 'hair')

And I didn't really interpret that any other way besides a fact and/or opinion. See, life is awesome.
    You can put down your machete now.

19. crpy

crpy Arachnoking

lol, no worries, yeah i do get "hoof in mouth" disease sometimes, please remember that lol. A. Smith has good reference to hairs in his book, he lists them and what their function is.

20. reverendsterlin

reverendsterlin Arachnoprince Old Timer

I think the short answer is unknown as far as distinct or color form, seems to be that way with a lot of T's (Avics specifically come to mind lol).
    Rev