Grammostola Rosea

tyntas

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, i have a Grammostola Rose for several years and im kinda worried now, its been almost eleven months since she last ate and two whole years since last molt.

I usually feed her crickets, small roaches or mealworm.

I keep her water dish always clean and full.

Any tips?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Hello everyone, i have a Grammostola Rose for several years and im kinda worried now, its been almost eleven months since she last ate and two whole years since last molt.

I usually feed her crickets, small roaches or mealworm.

I keep her water dish always clean and full.

Any tips?
G.rosea is known for going through really long periods of fasting. The best you can do is to continue to offer her food every now and then and keep the water dish filled. Eventually she should eat :)

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You're doing fine. This species is -well- known for not eating for over a year. If she's acting normal and drinking, don't worry about her. It's possible her fasting will lead into a molt if it's been two years. They're a very slow growers, and when they hit adult size they don't really molt very often. It's been two years since my female G. porteri (likely what you actually have, a lot of G. porteri were sold at G. rosea) molted and she's just fine.

I've heard that if you draw out the time between their feeding they are less prone to fasting. For example feeding once a month rather than twice a month. But it's not a big deal, your girl is likely just fine.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do you have any pictures of her? Is her abdomen still nice and round? Or is she looking emaciated/dehydrated? While my G. rosea is a chow-hound, I've heard of them fasting for very long periods. I have some locally-caught aphonopelma who have barricaded themselves in their hides and gone on prolonged fasts - not always ending in a molt - and they're all fine. Eventually they come back out and eat.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have had an adult female fast for just over 14 months.

If your specimen is adult, then I wouldnt worry

tyntas

Arachnopeon
Will post a picture in a minute. Also today at pet store i was told i shold feed her the gel ball thing along with water, but ive been searching in the forum and seems it idnt recommended.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Will post a picture in a minute. Also today at pet store i was told i shold feed her the gel ball thing along with water, but ive been searching in the forum and seems it idnt recommended.
Nope. Regular Livefood and water dish ONLY.

Bug gel and water crystals are useless for Theraphosidae.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Why did you wash her home?

Keep this species habitat bone dry. Moisture will cause problems

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Im going to change the substrate, i do it once a year or so.
Changing the sub is pointless unless it's infested with mold/mites. Sub doesn't just go bad, changing it yearly will needlessly stress out your spider and force it to re acclimate to a new environement.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
No!!!! Do not put ANYTHING but water in the water dish. Just water. Ugh pet store employees are the worst. Don't listen to them.

Also that girl is FAT. Do not worry about her not eating, she is most assuredly not starving. :rofl: She is a G. rosea rather than a G. porteri though, very pretty!

tyntas

Arachnopeon
No!!!! Do not put ANYTHING but water in the water dish. Just water. Ugh pet store employees are the worst. Don't listen to them.

Also that girl is FAT. Do not worry about her not eating, she is most assuredly not starving. :rofl: She is a G. rosea rather than a G. porteri though, very pretty!
You mean shes a G porteri?