1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grammostola iheringi breeding

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by 1Lord Of Ants1, Nov 12, 2017.

1. 1Lord Of Ants1

1Lord Of Ants1 Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    I have a 6 inch female and a recently molted pen-ulimate male and was curious if anyone here has had first hand experience with pairing and sac production. Apparently the latter is what troubles people the most if the female is not cycled properly, but specifics on doing so seem to be lacking. Any input would be appreciated!

5E2F3591-646F-4DF7-BCCE-6AE477AFB7FC.jpeg 70709D13-560D-4FE8-9674-9EE4C006F256.jpeg D4D82E6E-17AF-4023-A4CE-C9F11C95B282.jpeg

2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

I would also like to read some info on these. Following.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

There's a scientific paper on their breeding among other things if I recall correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  4. 1Lord Of Ants1

Do you have a link or something of the sort? I can’t seem to find any papers on the topic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. viper69

I don't. Use Google, that's how I found the paper.

6. 1Lord Of Ants1

Bumping this in hopes of someone sharing their secrets with this species. Male is getting close to molting.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Kydog100

Kydog100 Arachnopeon Active Member

The Grammostola Iheringi is terribly hard to mate you should have been doing research way before this point if you wanted to mate them

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. Tangled

Tangled Arachnopeon

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Uruguayan_theraphosids_Araneae_Mygalomorphae

I can't find anything specific for this species but that article includes their observation on G. iheringi and others. Their laboratory temperatures are listed by month in one of their graphs. As for egg sacs, they comment that most of theirs were eaten or abandoned. Perhaps if you get a sac, you should "pull it." They do comment that in their field observations, males were active in October, so presumably, they mate, then she chills for the winter and makes the sac in the spring. There are articles on 'winterizing' Brachypelma hamorii (smithi) you could reference for that.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnobaron Active Member

10. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

That’s why the OP posted.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. 1Lord Of Ants1

The male molted to adult in September and near doubled in size to an 8” leg span. The female last molted in May and is currently sitting at a little over 7”. She is being cooled and I hope that will induce a molt come spring as she’s probably too far in her molt cycle.

By keeping the male cooler I was able to keep them a similiar size - I received both two years ago as 1.5 slings, and the male was a molt ahead of the female.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

If your female last molted in may, then it shouldn't molt till at least may this year, probably later than that...then you need a solid month to fatten...at that point the male will be nearly 10 months mature at that time...IMO long past his prime. By pairing now, your female should be fat and in good shape to drop a sac before then. Pair now...IMO waiting on the female to molt will lead to a missed opportunity. Pair while the MM is as fresh as possible....he's already almost 5 months mature.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. viper69

Not enough of this species being offered- Godspeed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 1Lord Of Ants1

I’ve heard of males of this species and mollicoma lasting up to two year - but you’re probably right. I’ll pair them and see what happens. I do have a younger male if this one doesn’t work out.

Well that was fast...the whole encounter lasted all of 5 minutes.

Opened their two containers side by side and gave the male some female webbing. He started immediately drumming followed by the female drumming back. She charged him as soon as he entered - but not in aggression. She was drumming so hard it looked like she was beating up the male. He went down to business immediately and got one good insertion. He went for another but the female ran off and started threat posturing so I removed them. Now to wait for a sac or a molt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. cold blood

Males last way way longer than their viability. Gotta pair them while still fresh.

Glad you got em paired, best of luck on a sac.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    In situations like this, is it a good idea to continue introducing the male another time or two if the female is still receptive, just to make sure he has a good chance of getting the job done? Or should the one go at it be enough?

Awesome that they paired for you so easily, hope the female drops a fat sac for ya! :D

17. 1Lord Of Ants1

One good insertion should be plenty, but multiple pairings can only improve the chance of success.

I’ll pair them again once the male recharges. Couldn’t believe the female was so pushy!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    I find it hilarious when the females are so eager, never fails to make me laugh! :hilarious:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. cold blood

I dont re pair if im sure i got a good insertion....IMO this just increases the chance she kills him....and he is a valuable MM that im sure many are looking for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

My Grammostola pulchripes mature male is still going strong - close to 2.5 years mature. He stopped making sperm webs at around the year mark.