Grammostola iheringi breeding

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a 6 inch female and a recently molted pen-ulimate male and was curious if anyone here has had first hand experience with pairing and sac production. Apparently the latter is what troubles people the most if the female is not cycled properly, but specifics on doing so seem to be lacking. Any input would be appreciated!

5E2F3591-646F-4DF7-BCCE-6AE477AFB7FC.jpeg 70709D13-560D-4FE8-9674-9EE4C006F256.jpeg D4D82E6E-17AF-4023-A4CE-C9F11C95B282.jpeg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's a scientific paper on their breeding among other things if I recall correctly.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bumping this in hopes of someone sharing their secrets with this species. Male is getting close to molting.

Tangled

Arachnopeon
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._Uruguayan_theraphosids_Araneae_Mygalomorphae

I can't find anything specific for this species but that article includes their observation on G. iheringi and others. Their laboratory temperatures are listed by month in one of their graphs. As for egg sacs, they comment that most of theirs were eaten or abandoned. Perhaps if you get a sac, you should "pull it." They do comment that in their field observations, males were active in October, so presumably, they mate, then she chills for the winter and makes the sac in the spring. There are articles on 'winterizing' Brachypelma hamorii (smithi) you could reference for that.

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The male molted to adult in September and near doubled in size to an 8” leg span. The female last molted in May and is currently sitting at a little over 7”. She is being cooled and I hope that will induce a molt come spring as she’s probably too far in her molt cycle.

By keeping the male cooler I was able to keep them a similiar size - I received both two years ago as 1.5 slings, and the male was a molt ahead of the female.

cold blood

Staff member
If your female last molted in may, then it shouldn't molt till at least may this year, probably later than that...then you need a solid month to fatten...at that point the male will be nearly 10 months mature at that time...IMO long past his prime. By pairing now, your female should be fat and in good shape to drop a sac before then. Pair now...IMO waiting on the female to molt will lead to a missed opportunity. Pair while the MM is as fresh as possible....he's already almost 5 months mature.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The male molted to adult in September and near doubled in size to an 8” leg span. The female last molted in May and is currently sitting at a little over 7”. She is being cooled and I hope that will induce a molt come spring as she’s probably too far in her molt cycle.

By keeping the male cooler I was able to keep them a similiar size - I received both two years ago as 1.5 slings, and the male was a molt ahead of the female.
Not enough of this species being offered- Godspeed!

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your female last molted in may, then it shouldn't molt till at least may this year, probably later than that...then you need a solid month to fatten...at that point the male will be nearly 10 months mature at that time...IMO long past his prime. By pairing now, your female should be fat and in good shape to drop a sac before then. Pair now...IMO waiting on the female to molt will lead to a missed opportunity. Pair while the MM is as fresh as possible....he's already almost 5 months mature.

I’ve heard of males of this species and mollicoma lasting up to two year - but you’re probably right. I’ll pair them and see what happens. I do have a younger male if this one doesn’t work out.

Well that was fast...the whole encounter lasted all of 5 minutes.

Opened their two containers side by side and gave the male some female webbing. He started immediately drumming followed by the female drumming back. She charged him as soon as he entered - but not in aggression. She was drumming so hard it looked like she was beating up the male. He went down to business immediately and got one good insertion. He went for another but the female ran off and started threat posturing so I removed them. Now to wait for a sac or a molt.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Males last way way longer than their viability. Gotta pair them while still fresh.

Glad you got em paired, best of luck on a sac.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
In situations like this, is it a good idea to continue introducing the male another time or two if the female is still receptive, just to make sure he has a good chance of getting the job done? Or should the one go at it be enough?

Awesome that they paired for you so easily, hope the female drops a fat sac for ya! :D

1Lord Of Ants1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One good insertion should be plenty, but multiple pairings can only improve the chance of success.

I’ll pair them again once the male recharges. Couldn’t believe the female was so pushy!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
One good insertion should be plenty, but multiple pairings can only improve the chance of success.

I’ll pair them again once the male recharges. Couldn’t believe the female was so pushy!
I find it hilarious when the females are so eager, never fails to make me laugh! :rofl:

cold blood

Staff member
I dont re pair if im sure i got a good insertion....IMO this just increases the chance she kills him....and he is a valuable MM that im sure many are looking for.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Males last way way longer than their viability. Gotta pair them while still fresh.
My Grammostola pulchripes mature male is still going strong - close to 2.5 years mature. He stopped making sperm webs at around the year mark.

MorganK

Arachnopeon
I have an adult female who last molted about 5 months ago and is about 5". I have a male who molted recently but doesn't have tibial hooks and he's about 4". I really want to breed this species but it sounds like we might be on track for a fall pairing?