GRAMMOSTOLA AUREOSTRIATA growth rate

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a 1 cm. G. aureostriata sling and it's been with me for a month now and hasn't molted yet in my care. this is my first time to have a chaco golden knee. it's been feeding well/normally (twice a week feeding of pinheads). what i want to hear from those who have this T: are they fast growers? how often do they molt during early "slinghood"? TIA. :)

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even though Grammastolas are a slow grower genus (roseas are EXCRUCIATINGLY slow), i have found that G. aureostriatas grow at a lot faster speed. But then again, i have two males. In 16 months, they have gone from less than .5" to 3.5".

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
have a female here and she has gone from about 1.5" - 2.75" in 15 months but I'm expecting a monstrous molt anytime :wall:

Sunar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My G. aureostriata has grown pretty quick I think. It's also one of my favorite T's. Very docile, looks nice and is a piggy eater. :)

~Fred

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Mine Started out as a 1/2" sling June 1st 2005
By december it was over two inches.. after 4 molts
Now it's almost 3 inches ofter just one more molt.

fast growers?? not really but a spider can get up to 7-8 inches .. worth the wait

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Genus Grammostola are the in the group "the most slow growers ever" sit and wait if you have a female but this genus is also very calm and docile and shall live maaaany years.

good luck!

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
To echo what others have said, it's not terribly slow (what you would expect from say, G. rosea) but it's not fast either. I have a friend who got a approx. 1/2" sling in summer of 2005. It's now about 3" and sexed a female. So that will give you an idea. As slings they probably molt every 2-3 months just generally speaking.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I got mine as a 1" sling in Jan this year, now its 3+ inches. I do belive its a male though, hopefully I'll know next molt.

jojobear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Got mine in November 2005 and it was a 1" sling and it has molted about every 6 weeks and is about 3.5" as of right now and due for another molt in another 2 weeks or so. I did tend to overfeed when I first got it. So the growth was probably a little faster in the begining. But like clockwork it molts every 6 weeks.

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I have a G. pulchra I got a little over 3 years ago now, and he was maybe 1.5" when I got him, and he's just now barely 3.5". Grammostolas are NOT for the impatient.

Although it sounds like the chacos are faster...

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Chacos are the speed demon of the genus. I got both a rosie and a chaco sling at 1/2" 10 months agos the chaco is at about 1-1 1/4" inches. The rosie is still 1/2" maybe 5/8". Maybe my grandchildren will enjoy the rosie once it reaches adulthood.

jwasted

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine have grown at a average speed. Faster than my rossie's but nothing like my Genic's.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Got my male in june '05, was about 1/2". Second only to my P. fortis in growth rate. He has molted seven times, consistently every 6-8 weeks, but has gone 5 months this time and looks about due. Previous to this current cycle he would typically still be eating up till two days before the molt, has gone a couple months this time though. The DLS of the last exuvium was about 5.5", he looks to be pushing 6" presently. A real sweetheart but don't have you're fingers between him and food...
My most inconsistent is a female G. pulchra that I got at about 1". Went 5 months without eating before she molted, then molted twice in 10 weeks.
Now it's been 6 months, three since she's eaten, no sign of impending molt.

Bill

jamesc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. aureostriata grow a little faster than G. rosea but you have to take into consideration their size differences. They do grow a little bit faster but it isn't that much if you consider percentage in respect to their full grown adult size. aureostriata are much larger than rosea when they are fully grown so they will grow more in actual measurement to rosea. I think both are awesome though, everyone should get at least one of each and chart the differences for yourself {D

JOYride

Arachnopeon
My aureostriata grows much faster than rosea. When I bought her she was much much smaller than rosea and now, after a year, she is pretty larger. I also never had any problems with her refusing food, actually she eats everything I give her at any time.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought five G.aureo slings approximately a 1/2 inch in size on 5/05 and have had them for just over eighteen months.
Today we now have two females, two males and one is unknown due to being a molt wrecker.
They are now approximately 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 of an inch. These are my first G.aureos that we have ever owned and compared to other T's we have owend they are slow growers to say the least but are way worth the wait for these gentle T's.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My G. aureo juve..i bought him (sexed him today!! so now confirmed! lol) as a 2" juve...in 2 moults...he's now about 3.5" This is definately one of my favourite T's in my whole collection. Definately gonna look for a female for some slings from him when hes mature :D Have fun and enjoy your spider! they're a joyful species to own! :D

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yay!

my one and only G. aureostriata sling just molted today. it's now 15 mm. (from 1 cm.).:D