Grammastola Rosea Pair Mated Last Night

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
Hi.

I've kept tarantulas in the past but I have never tried to mate them. It always seemed like such a tricky prospect. Well, I've had a Grammastola Rosea female from a sling and almost 6 years later I decided I wanted to try and find her a mate. I went to an exotic pet store near me and purchased a MM Rosea and brought him home. I had seen tarantulas mating on television and You Tube but it's not the same as watching it before your eyes.

I placed the male in the females tank and he began drumming, juttering, and releasing some loud low pitched sounds. Suddenly the female came darting out of her home and the two immediately locked up and the male was pushed half way up the side of the tank. When he leveled off with her he pinned her back with his tibial spurs and and did his thing. Once he was done he shot off to the far side of the tank where I retrieved him and put him back in his tank.

It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I didn't even get the chance to play some Barry White. Incredible creatures... even the Rosea's!

Sorry, I didn't take photos. I wish I had.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well done! :clap:
The first time I witnessed a live mating, my heart was pounding so hard and I was so exhilarated that I got a little light headed.....'course it was with OBT's....but really no different than what you've just accomplished. At least I had a more experienced keeper there with me to oversee things if they got out of hand; or I lost my nerve...lol.

Welcome to the AB and thanks for sharing your excitement.!

HaploFool

No longer a pet hole
Arachnosupporter
thanks

Yeah,

they actually mated twice and the second time there was a little Marvin Gaye playing in the background. Loverboy took that little bit of extra time! LOL! But I know she's definitely going to fatten up now. I have never dealt with an egg sac so I need to start doing some research like yesterday!