Gramastola Rosea habitat questions

dragonspirit1185

Arachnopeon
Hello folks I'm a tarantula n00b. I got some little spiderlings at a convention recently. I was getting impatient waiting for them to grow so I got me a rose hair from a local shop.
I am very experienced on building vivs for herps and I wanna build him a nice viv as well that isn't so plain and was looking for some ideas.

Here is the tarantula's 5.5gal habitat. I picked up a snapping turtle shell from a local shop today for him to use as a hide :)

The screen vent I made using window screen materials

The lid is secure with magnets. Each magnet has a 1 pound pull force.

Here is the tarantula

So up for some tarantula hardscaping ideas. Also curious if I still need a heat mat if the temp stays around 77°F.

Here is a Paludarium I built recently for poison dart frogs. Just to give you an idea of my building experience.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
IMO Heat mat & other gauge devices such the "humidity" one, are good only for smash hard the head of someone you hate :)
Your Theraphosidae doesn't need those, not to mention you have 77 F.

I would raise the substrate, being you.

cold blood

Staff member
The set up needs a re-do. Things to climb on, like the vertical piece of bark in the back. Take that out or use it as a hide. On the subject of climbing, there is way too much vertical space in that cage, and with all the hard objects in there to fall on, it would be a dangerous drop. Fill the enclosure most of the way, or utilize a shallower enclosure, as they tend not to burrow much of at all in captivity.

It does not need a heat mat (in fact they're dangerous), in fact it doesn't need any supplemental heat at all. An adult can handle temps in the 60's and even night temps into the 50's. If you are going to keep something warm, the slings should be priority, but don't use a mat or light/lamp. The fact that the room stays 77 is about perfect for any t you want to buy, from sling to adult. No reason to worry about heating.

The lid would be fine if it had drilled acrylic instead of the screen. tarantulas have been known to get their feet caught in them, leaving them dangling precariously over the ground...often resulting in not only a fall, but a lost limb. Aside from that, ts have been known to actually chew through.

Its not one of the better species to go all out on a beautiful enclosure, I'd probably suggest arboreals for that. Because they have such a propensity for random fastings, more décor, simply means more room for escaped prey to hide or locate when you try to remove it. Also, while this species (G. porteri bwt) isn't much of an earth mover, many will quickly bury or uproot plant décor....or even web it over.

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Let me just say you have a nice looking "Rosie" and for crying out lout "ABSOLUTELY NO HEAT MAT"! Enjoy your tarantulas and please do keep the substrate level higher. Having two hides for your spider is always a ++++++++. Take care and have a nice day. Welcome to the hobby.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
cold blood pretty much said it all. If you want specifics, the distance between the floor and the top of the enclosure shouldn't go past 2x the dls (diagonal leg span). Really, I keep mine at about 1.5x.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Seems to me you've put a lot of work in this. A shame really,cause a rosea is one of the species that doesn't need...well, anything but a hide and a waterdish.
Please please remove the tubes from the enclosure,and raise the substrate,this is a tragedy waiting to happen. I recently came across a picture of a tarantula that fell...trust me,that is not something you want for your T. :(
An explanation why it is dangerous:
A T is for the most part protected by exoskeleton,except for the 'abdomen'. This really a very thin lined 'sack' which holds a lot of organs and fluids. It damages very easily,and a fall from just a few inches could cause it to rupture or explode. It is not built to handle a lot of pressure.

Windowscreen is like paper to a T,one good chewing and the rosea will be gone.
I think it is commendable you are willing to put work in your T, but make sure the work is best for your T. Preferably before starting to build an enclosure. ;)

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a nice dart frog viv. If I was you, I would visit the Viv section of the forum here, and other T forums, some in Europe to get some idea. Your background w/darts will come in handy if you want to make a realistic viv, ie working with various materials to create faux backgrounds and such. People typically use GS foam if they really get into it, but I'm sure you know that already.

The viv won't need to be planted at all. I would go with a desert/rocky/scrubland type of setup.

A few things, I wouldn't trust any T with magnets you mentioned. If the lid doesn't lock shut or clip shut etc, I don't use it. They can be extremely persistent when they choose to be, like 2 yr olds w/ 8 legs.

Also, for terrestrials I would fill up the tank with a lot of sub to minimize a possible fatal fall from the top. A height of 1.5 body lengths from sub to lid is all that type of terrestrial needs. It may or may not take advantage of burrowing.

For evening lightning, while one could use red LEDs as they cannot see in that spectrum, I would go with blue LEDs because it's easier for you to see in the blue spectrum than red. A nice moonlight hue of blue would be ideal. Similar to the moonlight bulbs they use for herps.

dragonspirit1185

Arachnopeon
Wow thanks for all the replies folks. I plan on redoing the viv. Currently working on making some small enclosures for my slings.
Which should all be done by the end of the night.

dragonspirit1185

Arachnopeon
I added all the organic peat moss and Exo Earth I had on hand. Upgraded the handle lol. removed the extra cork.
Is it deep enough?

Shawnee

Arachnosquire
The thing with excavator clay is you don't know if it will be a good idea until you put the tarantula in it. Since the stuff hardens, you have to make a burrow for it, and once you put the T in there it might decide it doesn't like the burrow you made, so then it's useless

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The other thing I heard, about the Ex Clay, and I could be wrong, but I think someone said it doesn't maintain its consistency if it gets wet again, but don't quote me on that.

scott99

Arachnoknight
Has anyone ever tried using Excavator Clay Burrowing Substrate?
Don't use it. There is really no point in using it; T keepers have used potting soil, top soil, and coconut fiber for years and its work just fine. If it not broke, don't fix it.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
There's nothing wrong with having a nice looking setup for a grammostola. Just because most ppl keep theirs with just a hide and a dish doesn't mean you have to. But definitely needs the changes mentioned in terms of substrate height and the lid issue.

dragonspirit1185

Arachnopeon
There's nothing wrong with having a nice looking setup for a grammostola. Just because most ppl keep theirs with just a hide and a dish doesn't mean you have to. But definitely needs the changes mentioned in terms of substrate height and the lid issue.
What do you mean by the lid issue?