1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

:) Got new slings coming in tomorrow

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Garetyl, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Garetyl

Garetyl Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    Tarantulascanada may have sold out on a species I really want, but I'm getting some more little buddies in tomorrow. :U Gonna try to film my transfers for the first time, if I can. Wish me luck!

2. EulersK

EulersK Arachnonomicon Staff Member

What all did you end up with? New spiders always means a good day!

3. Garetyl

I ordered three 1/4" Nhandu Tripepii and two 1/4" Aphonopelma Hentzi. Lil guys are going to be so fun! I know that Nhandus are usually more defensive and Aphonopelmas can take a long time to mature but they are both species I'm interested in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. EulersK

Nhanduuuuuu!

Hands down my favorite genus. Great choice. Just keep those fingers clear, they're always hungry ;) They grow quite fast as well so long as you keep them fed. Not a bad choice for a beginner, good job. Do you already have their setups together? And of course I'm a fan of Aphonopelma, one of the few native tarantulas to my region.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Garetyl

Learned my lesson regarding hungry ts and fingers already. :shifty: Thanks to a certain B. Albo who will not be named. I'm really excited about these species! I've read all about Nhandus, and one of my best friends is from Texas, so I had to get a "Texas Brown" or two.

And I'm actually setting them up tomorrow at my dad's place. I already have dry topsoil, small-ish delicups, and hides all ready to be assembled while I wait. Not to mention the catch cup, tiny poking things, and large bin.

Hey, thanks man. I'll give you a look in the morning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. EulersK

Protip: When housing multiple spiders at once, moisten all of the substrate at once in a separate container. Makes it easier to avoid 'dry spots' and ensure an even consistency.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

I steered clear of Nhandu for a long time, due to their urticating hairs, but decided to add a couple of species recently. My favourite is Nhandu tripepii and I have three, along with two small Nhandu coloratovillosus. My tripepii are skittish, especially my 3" male, but I have never had any defensive behaviour from any of them... not even hair kicking. They really need a hide and they will use it.
    What species did TarCan end up selling out of that you wanted?

• Like Like x 1
  8. MainMann

MainMann Arachnopeon Active Member

Yeah those hairs are a paaiiiin. But they're quite easy to avoid in my opinion. I just looove huge NW terrestrials :p

9. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnolord Active Member

Iowa
    If you can use some sort of tripod or something so you can keep hands free, that's probably best. It personally drives me nuts to see someone doing an unboxing one-handed, when you're dealing with skittish bolty Ts where a fraction of a second in reaction can make the difference between a successful capture and an escapee.

You chose awesome species, Aphonopelma are honestly a bit underrated IMO and Nhandu is one of my favorite NW genera. Hope everyone arrives okay! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Garetyl

Yeah, if I can't finnangle something together, I'll just take pictures. :dead: I'm not THAT crazy... yet.

Thanks, man. :p I appreciate the helpful advice!

I wanted to get three Tapinauchenius sp. Union Island originally. My brother was supposed to come with me as it was too far to take my ESA, but he kept putting it off and they were sold out the day I said 'forget this I'm just going to place an order'.

I did find out that a great store near me will contact other breeders to try and find/import what they don't have for customers, so I might try asking them in a few months.

11. Garetyl

Sorry guys! I wound up not filming. I thought I had a dead Nhandu in the first vial I pulled out. Thankfully, it was just a moult.
    Screenshot_20190612-124318.png

Everyone got here just fine and I had no bolts. And they sent me a free Brachypelma albo slings, which I'm happy about. I'll try and take pictures now that I have everyone in their homes.

Here's the little scared freebie first. Very active spider, but super shy.

Screenshot_20190612-124708.png

And we have the two Aphonopelmas. I'd open the lids for pics, but they're pretty skittish.

Screenshot_20190612-124919.png

Screenshot_20190612-124953.png

And all three Nhandus are in hiding. I opened one cup for a bit of a better picture, but there's not much to see.

You can make out a leg and butt respectively if you squint. They were the most skittish, so I let them be.

Screenshot_20190612-125426.png Screenshot_20190612-125459.png Screenshot_20190612-125525.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

TarCan has Tapinauchenius rasti still on their price list. That species was recently properly described and they aren't sp. Union Island (or Caribbean Diamond) anymore - they're Tapinauchenius rasti.

13. Garetyl

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Uggggh, they were listed as Union Island until Saturday.

In lighter news, the five slings who haven't moulted on the way are all feeding on pre-killed waxworms. I also gave one to the sixth just in case. Everyone's got all their legs and are settling in nicely. I gotta say, the Hentzis are pretty sweet. They're happily eating out in the open and were the first to chow down.

Screenshot_20190612-215442.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019