Got My New Spider!!

TeamNinjaBug

Arachnopeon
Just received my Phidippus regius today and he's so cute and so tiny!! I just can't!! I placed him in his enclosure and misted a little bit to give him something to drink after his journey. I think he's still young, as I swear the species gets much larger than this. Now I'm wondering, how long should I wait for him to settle down before I feed him his first meal? I don't wanna overwhelm the little guy.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Just received my Phidippus regius today and he's so cute and so tiny!! I just can't!! I placed him in his enclosure and misted a little bit to give him something to drink after his journey. I think he's still young, as I swear the species gets much larger than this. Now I'm wondering, how long should I wait for him to settle down before I feed him his first meal? I don't wanna overwhelm the little guy.
i usualy wait until a day after i get a spider to feed it

TeamNinjaBug

Arachnopeon
Thanks, guys! He's settling in great! I attempted to hand feed him a pinhead cricket today and he went for it! Sadly he missed with only a cricket drumstick for his efforts, but it was the first time he came onto my hand. Afterwards, after crawling off, he hung around under my fingers as if it was a hide. And this morning, who did I find watching me from the door of his enclosure?

spooder says hai_by_teamninjabug-dc61uas.jpg

He's really starting to become quite the personality X3

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Thanks, guys! He's settling in great! I attempted to hand feed him a pinhead cricket today and he went for it! Sadly he missed with only a cricket drumstick for his efforts, but it was the first time he came onto my hand. Afterwards, after crawling off, he hung around under my fingers as if it was a hide. And this morning, who did I find watching me from the door of his enclosure?

View attachment 269682

He's really starting to become quite the personality X3
jeez i never hand feed my jumpers im just too afraid it'll accidentally bite me instead. Idk why my paraphidippus aurantius isnt showing that much personality maybe i just havent spent enough time around it. although it always acts scared of me and i havent really done anything to scare it maybe its because its enclosure has a twist on lid and it decided to make his home on the lid so i scare him every time i open it

Veles

Arachnobaron
jeez i never hand feed my jumpers im just too afraid it'll accidentally bite me instead. Idk why my paraphidippus aurantius isnt showing that much personality maybe i just havent spent enough time around it. although it always acts scared of me and i havent really done anything to scare it maybe its because its enclosure has a twist on lid and it decided to make his home on the lid so i scare him every time i open it
Jumpers rarelly bite anyone i think.

TeamNinjaBug

Arachnopeon
And when they do bite, it doesn't even hurt. Like a little pinprick, at least from what I've been told. With jumpers being so intelligent and curious, I feel obliged to offer enrichment and they seem to respond very well. My boy was noticeably nervous on his first day or two with a new home, but he's certainly getting increasingly braver with each visit. :D I usually wait until he's out and about and away from the door, so when I open it, it doesn't scare him silly.

And yeah, speaking of the "building home on lid", despite my hopes, my boy too decided that he likes the corner right on the lid. I have it so the enclosure door is to the side instead of the top, giving him the option to build his nest away from the door, but nope. In typical fashion, he wants to settle right on the door. Just... why...? This is apparently a common thing for jumpers. I'm thinking of sticking dark tape (outside of the enclosure, of course) on the opposite corner. Just to get the illusion that it's a hidden spot and maybe entice him to build there?

TeamNinjaBug

Arachnopeon
Yes! Today marked a momentous occasion!

Just an update on how he's doing, as well as a way to keep track of his progress. He finally has a name, offered by a friend of mine: Sir Legsalot! As you guys know, I've been working on getting him used to me. My socialization methods being where I place my hand into the enclosure and keeping it as still as I can or otherwise moving very slowly while he went about his business. Never attempt to grab or pick up or otherwise force the animal into contact it doesn't initiate. He was so nervous and skittish at first, and over the days, he gradually grew braver to where he would wander quite close to my hand but still refusing contact, made that failed attempt to catch the cricket I offered, and accidentally fell onto my hand yesterday after which he hastily retreated behind a flower and spent the next 10 minutes watching me. Until finally, today... he successfully took food directly from my fingers!

Holding the cricket in place, I held it close to him and Sir Legsalot seemed indecisive at first. He wandered back and forth, up and down and around my finger as if looking for a way to get it without touching me. He pauses, watching my finger closely before slowly placing his front legs in contact... There was a second of hesitation before he stepped a couple more legs onto my finger and gently took hold of the cricket (quite a contrast to his previous attempt to pounce that ended in him failing to catch the prey). It was interesting feeling his fangs brush me as he takes the cricket, but I was not bitten. He stayed there for some time, eating while I kept as still as possible (this is an especially important moment to not make any sudden movements to spook the animal) before we separated from each other.

With this, I think, is a good step forward in getting him to associate my fingers with food. I will continue working with him, hand-feeding every couple of days. Hopefully, it'll get to the point where he would come onto my hand without the promise of a meal and have an explore outside his enclosure. I'll keep you guys updated! :D

basin79

ArachnoGod
And when they do bite, it doesn't even hurt. Like a little pinprick, at least from what I've been told. With jumpers being so intelligent and curious, I feel obliged to offer enrichment and they seem to respond very well. My boy was noticeably nervous on his first day or two with a new home, but he's certainly getting increasingly braver with each visit. :D I usually wait until he's out and about and away from the door, so when I open it, it doesn't scare him silly.

And yeah, speaking of the "building home on lid", despite my hopes, my boy too decided that he likes the corner right on the lid. I have it so the enclosure door is to the side instead of the top, giving him the option to build his nest away from the door, but nope. In typical fashion, he wants to settle right on the door. Just... why...? This is apparently a common thing for jumpers. I'm thinking of sticking dark tape (outside of the enclosure, of course) on the opposite corner. Just to get the illusion that it's a hidden spot and maybe entice him to build there?
This is what I did for my jumpers. It works great.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Yes! Today marked a momentous occasion!

Just an update on how he's doing, as well as a way to keep track of his progress. He finally has a name, offered by a friend of mine: Sir Legsalot! As you guys know, I've been working on getting him used to me. My socialization methods being where I place my hand into the enclosure and keeping it as still as I can or otherwise moving very slowly while he went about his business. Never attempt to grab or pick up or otherwise force the animal into contact it doesn't initiate. He was so nervous and skittish at first, and over the days, he gradually grew braver to where he would wander quite close to my hand but still refusing contact, made that failed attempt to catch the cricket I offered, and accidentally fell onto my hand yesterday after which he hastily retreated behind a flower and spent the next 10 minutes watching me. Until finally, today... he successfully took food directly from my fingers!

Holding the cricket in place, I held it close to him and Sir Legsalot seemed indecisive at first. He wandered back and forth, up and down and around my finger as if looking for a way to get it without touching me. He pauses, watching my finger closely before slowly placing his front legs in contact... There was a second of hesitation before he stepped a couple more legs onto my finger and gently took hold of the cricket (quite a contrast to his previous attempt to pounce that ended in him failing to catch the prey). It was interesting feeling his fangs brush me as he takes the cricket, but I was not bitten. He stayed there for some time, eating while I kept as still as possible (this is an especially important moment to not make any sudden movements to spook the animal) before we separated from each other.

With this, I think, is a good step forward in getting him to associate my fingers with food. I will continue working with him, hand-feeding every couple of days. Hopefully, it'll get to the point where he would come onto my hand without the promise of a meal and have an explore outside his enclosure. I'll keep you guys updated! :D
I just take my jumpers out to exercise because if they don't it can lead to a shorter life span I just take the lid off and let them wander onto my hand let them jump from hand to hand and then i place my hand next to there enclosure and they jump back in