1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got My First T!!!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Alex Nowottnick Jr, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:41 PM.

1. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnobaron Old Timer

Advertisement
    Misting is just helpful for watering slings or tarantulas with lots of web that doesnt have a waterbowl. By misting yiu create waterdrops for them to drink. Misting does nothing to raise humidety in a tank. Cos the ammount of water that makes up for the misting can fit in a tablespoon! For raising humidety significally one has to pour water on the substrate! But the tank must be well ventilated, your is not! Avicularia is sensible for standing humid air. My suggestion is to get a tank that is appropriate for the speicies. Add around 5 inches of slightly mois substrate and lean some corcbark against the wall, or even better, a corkbark tube. Keep the substrate slightly moist by pouring some water on the sub now and then! Remember SLIGHTLY MOIST, not wet! GOOD LUCK AND WELCOME TO A NICE AND INTRESTING HOBBY!!

2. Vanisher

I recommend the european style of glassterrarium with crossventilation Made of ventilationsheets in the top and side. I used to build them myself! Maybe you can use what you describes, as log as the ventilation is good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

KK’s will work, but not ideal for husbandry for me because the door is small.

I strongly advise you read up on Avics here and not YouTube or caresheets. Otherwise your Avic will likely die.

Vanisher’s rec on glass cubes that Europeans use is a good one. Plus they are quite cheap in EU.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CJJon

CJJon Arachnosquire Active Member

It would be better, but not ideal for the reasons viper69 mentioned.

5. viper69

One more important Avic fact, they won’t all drink from water bowls. Use one, YES. But don’t assume they will use it even if abdomen is thin. I keep vigilant track of my Avics’ abdomen size.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I put it in here for now. Will this be better then the other enclosure until I can get a better one?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vanisher

Absolutly! Critter keeper will work! They are almost TO well ventilated, but you can use plastic foil to cut off wentilation. I suggest half of the lid! But i often used duct tape. It was easier!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist Arachnosupporter

For my avic, I mist one single spray on the front of his webbing like no more than twice a week at most. I also try to put the actual water dish near the webbing. I've kept avics pretty dry with just a water dish. They really don't use the substrate much in the way that other arboreals do, and I'm currently keeping a sling very healthily without any substrate at all. I'd recommend listening to @basin79, monitor the size of your T's abdomen and make sure they have the opportunity to drink at least once a week. Critter keepers are unwieldy because they don't allow you to implement a vertical design and the door is hard to maneouvre. But as long as you can get it in a secure place, that should be completely fine while you look for a better one.

9. Vanisher

Critter keepers are not ideal in any way, but they are better for an Avic than some tank without proper ventilation. If one want, one can flip it on the side and in that way get a taller cage, if one has made some modification for it first. But best are custom build enclosure like european glass terrariums with crossventilation

10. Thekla

Thekla Arachnolord Active Member

I believe there's no such thing as "too much ventilation for Avics". ;)

The Kritter keeper will work for the moment, but I'd try to get another, more suitable enclosure.

This is one possibility. Another would be to get one of these huge cheeseball containers you've got there in the US and use a soldering iron to make the vent holes.

@Tomoran has also a video for this:

I think Jamie's Tarantulas has nice acrylic enclosures for arboreal Ts, but they're quite expensive.

Other than that, I agree with @EtienneN and @viper69, keep track of your Avic's drinking habits. :)

@Vanisher
    The OP is located in the US. It'll be difficult for him to get European enclosures. ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:27 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CJJon

CJJon Arachnosquire Active Member

12. Ok guys so I’ve done some looking. I’m alittle short on money right now so how does a tubberware diy enclosure sound. I will cut it so it has a front opening door. It’ll be plastic so I can drill the cross ventilation. And it’ll have enough room for Blair to be comfortable. It sounds like a all around good plan to me but I’m now realizing how much I was actually messing up. How does this idea sound?

13. I could easily get a cheeseball container but in earlier comments people where saying to try and get a enclosure with a front opening door?

14. viper69

Doesn't have to be front opening, but it's helpful if it is. You could keep an Avic quite well in a Sterilite container. If you don't have money for that, then your T may starve because they aren't much more than a few dozen crickets.

15. viper69

Yes. I'd mount it vertically to give it more space. Remember, these are ARBOREAL Ts!!!:banghead::banghead::banghead:

16. Thekla

Thekla Arachnolord Active Member

It doesn't have to be a front opening enclosure, although I prefer them myself. But there're many, many keepers who keep their arboreals quite successfully in either tall sterilite containers or said cheeseball containers. I guess it comes down to personal preference. They'll work as long as the important parameters (ventilation, dry substrate, water dish, enough leave clutter) are met.

@petkokc has another idea for a cheap DIY enclosure ;)

This should also work... at least as a temporary enclosure, I would want to keep a beautiful T like yours in an equally good looking enclosure. ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:35 PM
  17. Olan

Olan Arachnobaron Old Timer

Don’t worry about messing up, you just didn’t have the best information. But you came to the right place.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnobaron Active Member

Iowa
    The specific reason that front-opening enclosures are generally easier with avics is due to their habits of webbing up as high as they possibly can - sometimes directly to the lid.

Ime those cheeseball containers work great, even though they open from the top, due to the little lip that runs the entire top of the container around the lid, it kept my avic webbing to that instead of the lid. If you're short on cash and can get one of those, it'll still work just fine. You'd be fine with a sterilite tub too, but it's more likely that your T will web to the lid and you'll have to disturb that whenever you open the enclosure.

• Like Like x 2