Got My First T!!!

Alex Nowottnick Jr

Arachnopeon
Guys I’m so excited. Today I got my first T. I got a Avicularia Avicularia (pink toe). It’s super calm and settling into her new enclosure nice. I decided to name it Blair. If you guys have any cool facts or interesting things about this tarantula I would love to hear it. Here’s a picture of it. :astonished:

Attachments

Alex Nowottnick Jr

Arachnopeon
Where did you purchase the spider?
I know this isn’t the best idea but I got it from my local petco. It’s cold where I live and didn’t want any shipped out. Also they just got it in so I figured I could get it and make sure it’s cared for right so they don’t hurt it or make it unhealthy.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Beautiful T! Welcome to the hobby! :)

I'd love to see its enclosure. Can you post pictures? Do you know if it's female or male?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I know this isn’t the best idea but I got it from my local petco. It’s cold where I live and didn’t want any shipped out. Also they just got it in so I figured I could get it and make sure it’s cared for right so they don’t hurt it or make it unhealthy.
I suspected that much, LPS are notorious for misinforming new keepers and selling them completely inappropriate setups.

Post some pictures of your enclosure, Ill make sure everything looks good for you.

Alex Nowottnick Jr

Arachnopeon
Beautiful T! Welcome to the hobby! :)

I'd love to see its enclosure. Can you post pictures? Do you know if it's female or male?
Yes I can show the enclosure. I’m not to sure yet, but when it molts I’ll be sure to let everyone know. And tomorrow I will be getting it a better water bowl that’s just for tonight.

Attachments

Alex Nowottnick Jr

Arachnopeon
I suspected that much, LPS are notorious for misinforming new keepers and selling them completely inappropriate setups.

Post some pictures of your enclosure, Ill make sure everything looks good for you.
Thank you. There’s so much stuff that people say is right and others say is wrong so I’m trying to do my best but advice from someone who actually knows will help a lot

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, that hide is setup for a terrestrial, lean it up against the back of the enclosure or get yourself a large cork slab. Stop misting.

Alex Nowottnick Jr

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that hide is setup for a terrestrial, lean it up against the back of the enclosure or get yourself a large cork slab. Stop misting.
So would it be a good idea to just sit it up on the back of the tank, or leave it how it is and just tilt the back up? I really appreciate the advice I’m still learning.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So would it be a good idea to just sit it up on the back of the tank, or leave it how it is and just tilt the back up? I really appreciate the advice I’m still learning.
Happy to help, just place the hide vertically. If you can afford it, go and get yourself a slab of cork bark, its the best type of wood to use in tarantula enclosures...practically mold proof, and looks very natural.

Alex Nowottnick Jr

Arachnopeon
Happy to help, just place the hide vertically. If you can afford it, go and get yourself a slab of cork bark, its the best type of wood to use in tarantula enclosures...practically mold proof, and looks very natural.
Ok I’ll keep that in mind and try and get some tomorrow. So I know Avicularia’s are known as webbers, how long does it normally take them once they’re moved into a enclosure or does it depend on the individual?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Ok I’ll keep that in mind and try and get some tomorrow. So I know Avicularia’s are known as webbers, how long does it normally take them once they’re moved into a enclosure or does it depend on the individual?
Some will web more then others, although its typically something they do most heavily prior to molting.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
May I stress the 'stop misting' advice? Seriously, misting, especially with such a poorly ventilated enclosure, can be a death trap for Avics. That enclosure doesn't have cross ventilation which is crucial for Avics.

You may want to read these threads on Avic care:

Avicularia care by @Venom1080
Avicularia husbandry by @viper69

boina

Lady of the mites
@Thekla is right - with that type of enclosure you really, really, really do NOT want to get any moisture in there except for a water bowl.

Alex Nowottnick Jr

Arachnopeon
May I stress the 'stop misting' advice? Seriously, misting, especially with such a poorly ventilated enclosure, can be a death trap for Avics. That enclosure doesn't have cross ventilation which is crucial for Avics.

You may want to read these threads on Avic care:

Avicularia care by @Venom1080
Avicularia husbandry by @viper69
Jeez thanks for telling me this. Would it be a better idea to get like a plastic container that would work as an enclosure so that I can poke holes around the sides of the lid?

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Congratulations and welcome. You will do well if you heed the advice here. Even when it seems there is banter back and forth about certain issues they are generally subtle nuances, or preferences, not foundational principles of keeping. If there is some wing nut who pops up with something weird, they are generally dispatched in short order. Enjoy!