1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my first T!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by moshpitpanda, Jul 10, 2018.

1. moshpitpanda

moshpitpanda Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Just got my first T today, a b vagans sling! Very excited to finally have one of these. Just settled it in a little dram bottle and applied some moisture for it. If anyone has some further suggestions on care I appreciate it! A little paranoid at the moment that it is not getting enough moisture but I did spray the substrate a good bit and dont want to overdo it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron Active Member

Whats the leg span or size?
    Welcome to the boards!!!

3. moshpitpanda

3/4 of an inch if I'm not mistaken

4. InvertAddiction

InvertAddiction Arachnosquire Active Member

Congrats on your T. To start off with... you picked an alright tarantula for your first. These guys are terrestrial so you can put it in a condiment cup/deli cup. You can add a small fake leaf for it to hide under or wait till it get's around the 1 inch mark to add a hide. The vial will work as a TEMPORARY home (just be careful if it climbs so it doesn't fall and injure itself). Once you get the condiment/deli cup set up, spray one side of it and leave the other side dry. Feed once to twice a week. These guys are hardy so room temp can work, depending on how cool you keep your home or wherever the T will reside. Rule of thumb is to keep the space from the lid to the substrate 1 and a half times the length of the tarantula's legpan (it's more of a cushion if it climbs and falls so it doesn't injure itself). Don't be surprised if yours becomes satan when it gets bigger (2 inches plus). These guys have hearty appetites and great feeding responses. I generally wait till they get around the 1 inch mark to add a bottle cap as a water dish. You DON'T need to add anything in the water dish except water. Don't be surprised as it gets bigger that it might redecorate and hide it's water dish lol. Mine were known as little bulldozers and made tunnels (the tunnels were large enough to see them along the sides of the enclosures as well as directly into the enclosure).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnobaron Arachnosupporter

First and foremost, welcome to the hobby! :)

Most NW slings appreciate moisture in their substrate, but I actually think that might be a bit too much. Especially with drams like that, it's hard to get the perfect combination of ventilation and substrate moisture. So it causes stagnant air which can prove dangerous for your sling if bacteria were to make their way into the dram and start growing. You could keep the sling in there, but in that case I would suggest drilling ventilation holes on the sides (making sure the holes are smaller than the T's carapace so that it can't escape). When I had just started in the hobby, I kept one of my first few slings in a dram like that with no ventilation holes, but that just proves the hardiness of the slings, not that I was doing something right (I also fed it exclusively on fruit flies until it was big enough to tackle small crickets, which was another mistake :bag:)

What I would suggest now that I know better, is those 2 oz. sauce cups you can find at most food stores or online for quite cheap. They work well because they can house the slings until they're about 1" without being too large, it's easier to monitor the sling, easier to feed them, and they tend to adopt the entire enclosure as their burrow instead of digging their own and hiding. This has actually been proven to help the slings grow faster and get them out of the more fragile sling stage sooner. In terms of size, the dram works perfectly fine, but the depth of it allows the sling to burrow, which is what might cause it to take longer to grow (due to increased hiding and therefore decreased food interactions).

Here's my G. pulchra sling in it's 2 oz. cup. I usually only wet about half the substrate in the cup (I literally just added water to the sub for the sake of taking that photo for you, so that's why the one side looks ridiculously wet), and I have a dozen or so holes poked on the lid so it gets ventilation. Due to the ventilation, the air isn't stagnant and even if I accidentally over water a bit, it isn't a big deal and it doesn't take long for the excess water to evaporate.

(Editing just to add that originally there was substrate on the entire bottom of the cup, but I've got a bulldozer for a sling)
    20180710_113358.jpg

Switching your little sling into a 2 oz. cup isn't absolutely necessary, but it's just a helpful tip for an easy enclosure that helps get it out of the sling stage faster.

Once again, welcome to the hobby, and always feel free to ask questions whenever you have them. Everyone's here to help :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. moshpitpanda

Hey f
    Hey thanks for all the info! Funny thing is , I actually had a sauce cup prepared but the breeder sent the dram bottle so I went with it. My little deli cup has a ton of holes for ventilation so I think I will move my T over!

Edit:it actually looks like the deli cup is 5 oz but I figure that will still be ok.

7. PidderPeets

A 5 oz. cup should be alright, just add a little bit more substrate.

8. moshpitpanda

So this is the new enclosure I put it in. I think I may have overdone the moisture again but there are plenty of holes for ventilation in this cup

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  9. InvertAddiction

You can take the moss out. that holds moisture and humidity and you don't need that for these. just dampen one half and leave the other half dry. the water dish will work just fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. moshpitpanda

Oh it seems to really like the most though for a hide

11. InvertAddiction

You have more than enough in there for humidity, which these don't need much of at all. You can replace the moss with a piece of bark (If you find it outside, bake it first at 200º F - 250º F for 2-3 hours to kill any mites/eggs on or in the wood) or fake leaves.

12. moshpitpanda

I swapped the moss with some fake leaves. That should work nicely

• Love Love x 1
  13. InvertAddiction

OH! this may seem like a really stupid question, but after reading another post on the boards (which I'm still wrapping my head around)....I'm gonna ask anyway, what are you going to feed it? Or do you know the proper size food for it?

14. moshpitpanda

I have super worms for now
    Most that I bought are pretty small. The large ones i may just cut up

15. InvertAddiction

Perfect :) I was gonna say if the food was too large to cut it up into smaller sections and feed that way, but you're on top of this :)

16. PidderPeets

Yup, you overdid the moisture again. :p But as long as there's plenty of ventilation, it should be fine and you'll just need to let the substrate dry out before adding any more. When it does dry out, make sure to leave a portion of the substrate dry when you add more water to it. New keepers often get nervous and over-care for their slings (adding too much moisture, feeding too often, panicking if the T does something they've never seen before), but I promise you they don't really need that much attention. They really are that simple. Awesome job adding a water bowl!

Personally, I wouldn't add any type of hide for it, because the ultimate goal would be to get it to consider the entire cup it's hide. By adding a separate object for it to run to, you're differentiating it's enclosure from it's home, if that makes sense. For the sake of encouraging growth, you'd preferably want it to view the entire enclosure as it's home.

Instead of thinking, "AHH! BIG SCARY OBJECT JUST FELL (food), I'M GONNA GO HIDE IN MY HOME! :lurking:", you want it to think "HEY! What's that thing think it's doing in my home! I'm gonna eat it! :punch:". The addition of a separate hide will genuinely make that much of a difference.

Obviously once it's past the delicate stages of early life, you should include a proper hide for it, but as a little sling, it's better to forego one. Especially as a new keeper, the quicker it's out of the sling stage, the better it is for you.

17. moshpitpanda

I guess that does make a lot of sense! Lol I will probably be removing his hide then. He/she probably hates me now. Moving it back and forth and removing its toys haha. I keep getting paranoid about my sling too lol but I think it's best right now for me to not over think its actions or lack of

18. moshpitpanda

Yeah I got then a few days ago to prep for my sling. It will be sad to see them go

19. Zymotic

Zymotic Arachnopeon

That should definitely give the little guy a little leg space to stretch and explore. Welcome to the hobby, MoshPitPanada. HAHA! That name cracks me up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. moshpitpanda

Here is the enclosure now with nothing but a water bowl. Still looks a little moist to me but I wont mist as much in the future

Attached Files: