1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my first 2 T's!

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by javachip, Jul 10, 2018.

1. javachip

javachip Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi, this kind of a real newbie question and I was kind of excited after I received them. I have my first Orange Baboon Tarantula (Pterinochilus Murinus) which is already 1 inch and a Grammostola Pulchripes on 2 cm. I do have a question though for their housing and since I am using coco peat for their terranium, is it okay if it is mildly most for the 2 species? I am kind of avoiding on suffocating these 2 on their environment. Also I am feeding them dubia roaches which I got for free from my friend who gave those 2. Any thoughts?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. AnimalNewbie

AnimalNewbie Arachnobaron Active Member

Why of all things did you have to start out with the OBT.
    Are you aware of the venom and attitude.
    These two like it dry and post pics for more input on it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dovey

Dovey Arachnobaron Active Member

My first old world was an OBT, but they are definitely fast and feisty. It's the feisty you hear about, but it's the fast you have to watch out for, not that they'll come after you but that they'll run away from you and you'll lose them somewhere in the house. I had a mature male living in my bedroom closet for two months or more before I finally lured him out, and I still look on that as a major miracle!

You couldn't do better than the pulcripes, it's a great starter tarantula and very forgiving. The OBT is also very forgiving in terms of care, but he will soon web up his whole habitat and you will rarely see him. Don't know why I'm saying him, I guess because I was just talking about my male. :)

My best advice, aside from trade the OBT for something a little bit more beginner-friendly, is put your 1-inch OBT in a largish habitat for its size with lots of things for it to attach webbing to and make a web Castle. You don't want to have to move this spider any more than absolutely necessary as it grows. Not because they are aggressive, but because they are so fearful they get defensive very easily, and a bite would be disastrous. You would hurt a lot for a long time. Also, your chances of hurting a spider that you are afraid of are much higher than one you are not afraid of. And if you are not wary of working with this spider, you should be. Talk to some more people who keep them, and they will confirm my concern. :nailbiting:

Use a catch cup and good, proven procedures moving the obt. DO NOT USE FISH NETS...they are too quick, and you may hurt your spider badly, assuming it doesn't get away under the net.

Honestly, I'm not trying to tell you what to do or anything, but if it were me I would start out with your new world terrestrial and maybe an arboreal. I was terribly happy starting out with a c. versicolor and moving on to psalmies and a tapenachenius gigas (another fast orange looker!) to get used to working with fast spiders that can climb before tackling an OBT, which admittedly is a beautiful spider.

• Like Like x 1
    • Award Award x 1
  4. javachip

javachip Arachnopeon

I know, I was like using 2-3 containers when I was moving it from the cup for my OBT. I might use my remaining dried coco fibers and the use the already used fibers for my plants. Thanks for this.

Well I guess I need to start again, but that's alright. Thanks for the advice.

5. javachip

javachip Arachnopeon

I kind of overwatered my remaining coco fiber and I need to get it dry fast, is it okay if I use empty cups for the 2 T's?

6. boina

boina Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Germany
    You mean you want to use empty cups without substrate for your tarantulas to live in??? Did I understand that right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dovey

Dovey Arachnobaron Active Member

Spiders can remain in a catch container overnight, but a spare simple habitat is a better idea. Wet substrate can be dried in a cool oven of say 150 to 175 on a cookie sheet for about an hour (just like you would dry herbs or fruit) in an emergency. Be sure though to cool the substrate to room temperature completely before replacing it in a habitat. Conversely, most spiders can live with moist habitat for a day or two if their habitat is properly ventilated and will dry out in a timely manner on its own. If you're worried about ventilation, go ahead and oven dry or air dry your substrate. Most of my new spiders go into habitat that has substrate about as moist as a wet sponge that has been rung out.

And if you do dry out your substrate in the oven, warn your family that this is actually dirt and not some sort of dirt cake recipe! :cat:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sinned

Sinned Arachnosquire Arachnosupporter

Don't know how "delicate" an OBT is (pretty hardy also right?)... but a G. pulchripes is pretty hardy if I'm not mistaken.

Mildly moist, well make the enclosure and it will probably dry out before it's an issue. Most T's (in my case so far) will crawl all over the place the first day(s) anyway. Even my GBB that loves *bone dry* and got just that, decided she was an arboreal the first few days and even spent some time on the top of the enclosure. Ventilation, as mentioned, is important though ...

My 2cents, for the OW as a new keeper. Unless it was a informed decision, then "go for it - but ymmv :bored:". Try to trade it for one of the *many* other great NW's that are out there.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. javachip

javachip Arachnopeon

Yes. I already had them staying in empty cups for like 3-4 hours. After I had dried the fibers on our oven and had their terrestrial enclosures setup. So far so good. Thanks btw.

Yeah, it smell like burnt cake or should I say, fiasco lol. :bag:

After I moved them from their newly setup terrestrial and after like 3 hours of observation, both T's are cozy on their new setup enclosure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    They are strong like Soviet Tank! You can put them in a horribly inadequate enclosure and it would probably still survive. You would probably have to make a concerted effort to kill one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Kind of, is that like "kind of pregnant" :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    Mom, I kind of crashed the car.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1