Got an awesome MM Chromatopelma but...

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...I am stuck in Canada, where the demographic (both in the hobby and overall) is a mere fraction of that in the USA and I couldn't find a mate for him.
I wonder if there was a possibility to ship him South of the border if it's to, let say' help in a breeding program or any non-profit environmental project. They are hard to find, Venezuela I closed to export... I would be quite sad to have to let him waste away and die with no progeny.

The worst part is that I can't even try to be manipulative and go ''ok, if you don't want it... I will hybridize it!!!!''

NewAgePrimal

Arachnosquire
You can't sit there and tell me there isn't one person in your entire country with a female gbb. I refuse to believe it.

titanT

Arachnosquire
Have you tried tarantula canada, they might have a female for sale or you could atleast send off your male for a breeding project i would of thought, i no that jon3800 from canada has some females if your talking about cyaneopubescens, hes all over youtube, send him a msg, good luck finding it a mate.

titanT

Arachnosquire
his only female died a few weeks ago.
should of kept upto date with his youtube vids, thats ashame, just got my GBB yesterday so was checking out the old GBB vids too, not realising the thing had passed on, thought he had 2, must of been mistaken, soz merfolk

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
TC would be the best idea, either they are up to a breeding loan with that MM, or chances are they know someone who would be and might put you in contact with the person. Good luck!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
If my female was fighting fit, I'd be tempted to give her another go. I find it hard to believe no one in Canada has a MF ready. It probably has more to do with supply; I've been selling them very cheap for years and I still have some at home, and most dealers have these in stock.
I wouldn't exactly say they are hard to find, maybe just hard to find someone with a female that's willing to bother:)

iemmaamme

Arachnopeon
I've read that tangledinwebs accepts spiders needed for breeding, but I'm not sure what the arrangements are like. It's a shame the Canadian forum here is so slow - you *know* there's other T keepers out there, it's just a matter of finding them! If you have any Pet Stores around that show good husbandry, you may want to ask who runs that show. The herp guy at my LPS just happened to have a pretty substantial T collection.

scorpionchaos

Arachnosquire
Haven you posted an ad here? have you asked about a breeding loan with tangled in webs? tarantula canada? Arachnophillacs????

Are you even trying :p

Ghost Dragon

Arachnopeon
I have a GBB, Merfolk, but it's still only about an inch, so no way to know what it is yet. Sorry. :(

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Baptisia has gotta be close to 2 inches now so I should be able to sex it soon, but I don't know if it will mature before yours passes or not. Do you know how recently your guy matured?

I've been keeping temps around 70 and feedings to once a week for my slings, once every two weeks for my juvies and adults. I can see if my GBB will accept a more frequent feeding schedule and try warming it up a bit and maybe it will mature fast enough for a window of opportunity. I do suspect that it is female - I took a look at its last molt and I'm pretty much positive I found a tiny flap. I should know for sure with the next molt.

Edit: I missed the posts where people recommended Tarantula Canada - definitely get in touch with them if you haven't already.

Last edited:

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
Baptisia has gotta be close to 2 inches now so I should be able to sex it soon, but I don't know if it will mature before yours passes or not. Do you know how recently your guy matured?

I've been keeping temps around 70 and feedings to once a week for my slings, once every two weeks for my juvies and adults. I can see if my GBB will accept a more frequent feeding schedule and try warming it up a bit and maybe it will mature fast enough for a window of opportunity. I do suspect that it is female - I took a look at its last molt and I'm pretty much positive I found a tiny flap. I should know for sure with the next molt.

Edit: I missed the posts where people recommended Tarantula Canada - definitely get in touch with them if you haven't already.
not to be an a-hole, but imo there is almost no way to make yours mature befor his passes. even if its a she, accepted food every 2 days and the temp was mid 80s.. id guess shes maybe be 3.5 by time it passed. n thats coming from my experience with my growing gbb's my rooms 80 minimum and all offered every 3 days still wouldnt come close to a nice sized mature unless the male was in a super cooled area.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Should have told you: TC are friends but they already have males for their GBB. They were the first I though about.

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
not to be an a-hole, but imo there is almost no way to make yours mature befor his passes. even if its a she, accepted food every 2 days and the temp was mid 80s.. id guess shes maybe be 3.5 by time it passed. n thats coming from my experience with my growing gbb's my rooms 80 minimum and all offered every 3 days still wouldnt come close to a nice sized mature unless the male was in a super cooled area.
Not detecting any a-holishness at all - you're just helping me understand my T's better the same as pretty much everyone here. :) I won't bother with the plan I mentioned above - kinda figured it would be a long-shot in the best case scenario.

DawnSpider

Arachnopeon
Hi,
If the mature male is still around our female is about to molt ... she has already produced one egg sac but she has eaten all her mates. I cannot be sure he will live :( but shes is a great mom. you can email me at dawn@tangledinwebs.com and you can find all of our terms on our website and feel free to send yours :)
thanks
Take care