1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a GBB... What Next?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by mrbonzai211, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mrbonzai211

mrbonzai211 Arachnobaron

I have an amazing GBB sling (unsexed, 2 inches). It's absolutely beautiful, but now I'm left with a dilemma.... What do I get next!? Is there anything out there more beautiful than a GBB that also isn't a pokie? I will eventually get a pokie, I'm just ill equipped to deal with their venom and speed at the moment and I would like to wait until I get my own apartment. I know it's a lot to ask, but pics to go along with your suggestions would be incredibly awesome of you guys.
  2. gumby

gumby Arachnoprince

If you like color get a Avicularia fasciculata they are fantastic! I thought to myself "self get one and like many others it wont look as cool in regular light but it will still be cool" I was so wrong this is the most awesome looking T. ever so beautiful and in regular light you dont need a camera flash to dress her up.
  3. stevetastic

stevetastic Arachnodemon

you could get another GBB. I have 2 and i'm (hopefuly) getting one in a trade next week.
  4. Jwwjr

Jwwjr Arachnosquire

lol i got myself a pokie first then the gbb... if you want something simple get a G.pulchra :) or maybe something from the avic species if you want something docile, with pretty colors yet can be somewhat fast.

sidenote the pulchra will take forever to grow, avics i hear are a faster growing species
  5. gumby

gumby Arachnoprince

6. johnharper

johnharper Arachnobaron

What about a suntiger or a signapore blue? Can't believe no one said these two.

7. Pseudhapalopus sp Blue Rump verry cool blue butt instesd of orange! just ordered one (rare to)KTBG got some
  8. burmish101

burmish101 Arachnobaron

Pokies are actually pretty simple, just a bit skittish. I've never had a regalis rear up at me yet, tbh the 1-2" parahybana slings I have are jumpier by far lol. Lasiodora are fun spiders if youd like to give those a try, or Acanthoscurria geniculata are nice too.
  9. bamato

bamato Arachnodemon

Nobody mentions S Rubronitens :( Imagine a pulchra, but with a hairy red butt. Little more skittish but manage-able.

Or how about a E Cyanognathus? Get one as a sling they are beautiful! Slow growers, but so gorgeous even at a young age! They have BRIGHT blue fangs very irridescent coloring. A little seclusive, but when they do come out it's a real treat :)

10. Heteroscodra maculata. I just orderd one and they are aboslutly B-E-A-U-tiful
  11. scottyk

scottyk Arachnoangel

I would second the suggestion of P. irminia (Suntiger), especially if you eventually want to get a Pokie. In fact, P. cambridgei and P. pulcher are also beautiful t's from this genus.

All of the above are fast moving defensive arboreals, but without the potent venom of a Pokie. Work with these guys for a year or so without getting bit, and you'll be ready....
  12. Jump in headfirst and get whatever you really want. You'll be fine--in fact you'll probably be more cautious than you need to be.
  13. burmish101

burmish101 Arachnobaron

My 2nd T after having a G. rosea was Poecilotheria pederseni, I can 2nd that I was rediculously cautious as it was worlds different than the rosea lol.
  14. I say get a pokie not as bad as people make them out to be
  15. CRX

CRX Arachnoknight

Get an H mac, an A behlei, or a P cambridgei. They're my 3 favorite Ts, but I like the H mac especially. Simply stunning-
  16. mrbonzai211

mrbonzai211 Arachnobaron

There's a 5 inch P. regalis at a local pet store, but they want $100 for it. Is that too much? (I'm not sure it's actually a regalis. My limited knowledge led me to believe that... they just call it an indian ornamental)
  17. MelGibson

MelGibson Arachnosquire

if you can tell if its a female or not, get it! thier my most spectaular spiders i have. and an indian ornamental is the common name of a p. regalis
  18. Thompson08

Thompson08 Arachnoprince

You should go back and get some ventral shots of it, so we can sex it for you. Then if it is female, I would buy it.
  19. Arborealis

Arborealis Arachnoknight

If I were you I'd stick with your first instinct. If you feel you are not ready for a pokie then you probably aren't. Check into Iridopelma hirsutum, Avicularia versicolor, Brachypelma species (such as boehmi, auratum, or smithi) Nhandu chromatus, Acanthoscurria geniculata...

SOOO many beautiful Ts. Just look. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Projecht13

Projecht13 Arachnoknight

b.boehemi are stunning female T's,

a.versicolor males are insanly colored too and very nice to handle. :D