Goodbye Khaleesi

burnsj22

Arachnopeon
It's been a rough couple days.. my quince monitor passed away quite suddenly on Thursday. She was the epitome of health 24 hours before passing. This lizard was my baby. She came into my life almost 6 years ago. She was in poor health, wasn't socialized, wasn't respected, wasn't loved. I don't know what it was about her energy but something about it just spoke to me and I instantly became obsessed with her. It took me almost a year of multiple training sessions every single day but I eventually earned her trust and we had a solid relationship that just got stronger and stronger every day. As we worked together and she got healthy, she also started to display a hilarious, inquisitive, and often times sassy personality. She loved to play with toys, loved to sunbathe with the cats, and nothing made her happier than access to fresh water. She would often times climb into the bathtub and just wait for me to turn on the water for her. This is my first reptile pet death and it's feeling especially rough since I didn't see it coming. I'm not sure how old she was, she was on the small side when I met her (thin, not like a hatchling) but she was also malnourished so it's difficult to judge. It is somewhat my opinion that she became impacted with eggs because she had passed a mis-shapened/dehydrated egg a few hours before passing away. She had successfully dealt with multiple clutches of eggs over the past couple years so I'm unsure why this one didn't go smoothly. I provided this wonderful soul with everything she deserved after having a rough beginning and while some people think that reptiles don't experience or express emotion, I believe that monitors have to be an exception due to their higher intelligence. I also believe that Khaleesi was a happy girl that enjoyed all of the attention and enrichment that she received and I believe that she was grateful/felt love for me for providing it to her. Rest easy baby, I hope that you have an endless supply of balls and mice.

Attachments