1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good sites to buy cheap bulk sea salt

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by SamanthaMarikian, Aug 6, 2019.

1. SamanthaMarikian

SamanthaMarikian Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    i need to buy quite a bit of sea salt for my terrapins new pond that I’m redoing. Everything near me seems to be sooo expensive for what you get and i figured online would be better. What are some sites or companies you guys have had a good experience with? Thanks

2. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

Marine Depot is good from what I hear. Beyond that I can't help. Any saltwater aquarium enthusiasts here with large tanks :D?
    What kind of terrapin do you have?

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

3. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

4. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

A common problem. You either have a resale license and buy in bulk from a chemical supplier or you get victimized by someone who has a resale license, buys in bulk and repackages it. I checked the chemical supplier near here yesterday. Smallest lot of food grade 99.5% pure sea salt is a 55 gallon plastic barrel containing 550 lbs of salt. Single unit cost, ~$85 plus a refundable $100 deposit on the barrel. 10% discount on lots of 5 or more. Lower purity grades are much cheaper.
    Best bet is shop around. Some retailers cut a lot of slack while others may stiff you with a 1000% price markup. The value of the actual product is negligible. Most of the cost is in shipping and handling. If you get lucky you might get a lead on a bulk buyer who is willing to kick you a few pounds on the cheap or even for free if you present a no hassle way of picking some up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019