Good Names for T’s?

baconwrappedpikachu

Arachnosquire
We named our first tarantula Lucy. Now we have 9 tarantulas and 15+ other inverts, including some communal stuff like roaches and millipedes, and we gave up on naming everyone. So I let the neighbor kid name one of the Ts when he came over to see all the critters and we printed out the label and everything.

Some of them get nicknames just by happenstance as my GF and I talk about them, but for the most part we just use their scientific names. Using the scientific names helps with learning and getting used to pronunciation as well.

I already know I have too many tarantulas to pick one theme/movie/show/book theme to name them all after, but I do like the idea of picking a theme for a specific Genus collection. There are several genus that I want multiple species of so it's fun to pick a theme for those. Right now I have three Poecilotherias and I've named them all after famous female murderers, lol. Also kind of wishful thinking that they turn out female.

Oh, and I don't know if there are any rick and morty fans around, but we've been calling the little Caribena versicolor sling "Mr. Poopy Butthole" because all he does is poop all over his enclosure. It's not his official name but it just kind of happened that way. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Oh, and I don't know if there are any rick and morty fans around, but we've been calling the little Caribena versicolor sling "Mr. Poopy Butthole" because all he does is poop all over his enclosure. It's not his official name but it just kind of happened that way. Haha.
Oo-wee, that could be any Avic!