Good Information sites

ScutigeraJine

Arachnopeon
I'm always looking for good sites for information on true spiders, I'm making a web comic on them therefore I need a constant flow of information, I use arachne.org.au but sometimes it doesn't provide a lot of information I also sometimes use animaldiversity.org but again the web comic is to teach people about spiders in the most basic, and simplest way possible and some spider have little to no information on them.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Can't wait to see the comic! And yes, spiders.us has some information. I remember I was a member of that forum back in the day, Ungoliant as well. Good times.

ScutigeraJine

Arachnopeon
Please do show us the comic once you finish!
Can't wait to see the comic! And yes, spiders.us has some information. I remember I was a member of that forum back in the day, Ungoliant as well. Good times.
I got 4 episodes up right now, it's not fancy and I'm working on a new layout along with more realistic drawings, the site has a pretty weird image upload size requirement but here it is as I said in the bio, if I got any information wrong feel free to correct me and I'll edit it.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
it looks great! One thing I would correct is that wolfies do not cause necrosis and aren't medically significant. Here is a site on info that they don't. Lycosidae mainly rely on their strength rather on their venom to take down prey. Hence the massive chelicerae.

ScutigeraJine

Arachnopeon
it looks great! One thing I would correct is that wolfies do not cause necrosis and aren't medically significant. Here is a site on info that they don't. Lycosidae mainly rely on their strength rather on their venom to take down prey. Hence the massive chelicerae.
Editing now ty

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I got 4 episodes up right now, it's not fancy and I'm working on a new layout along with more realistic drawings, the site has a pretty weird image upload size requirement but here it is as I said in the bio, if I got any information wrong feel free to correct me and I'll edit it.
I wouldn't say that any of the spiders you've posted for can't bite through human skin. (That doesn't make them any more dangerous or likely to bite, however.) See Rod Crawford's discussion of the myth that small-fanged spiders can't bite.

Re: Phoneutria family

This is a genus, not a family. (Family names always end in -dae.) The family to which this genus belongs is Ctenidae (pronounced TEN-id-ee).

Most of the spiders found with banana shipments are not Phoneutria. See 'Deadly' Banana Spider...or Not.

ScutigeraJine

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't say that any of the spiders you've posted for can't bite through human skin. (That doesn't make them any more dangerous or likely to bite, however.) See Rod Crawford's discussion of the myth that small-fanged spiders can't bite.

This is a genus, not a family. (Family names always end in -dae.) The family to which this genus belongs is Ctenidae (pronounced TEN-id-ee).

Most of the spiders found with banana shipments are not Phoneutria. See 'Deadly' Banana Spider...or Not.
to explain that one the triangulosa specifically I went off of personal experience, but I'll edit them when I upload the next episode
As for the banana spiders I'll edit it to be more specific

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
to explain that one the triangulosa specifically I went off of personal experience, but I'll edit them when I upload the next episode
If it's like other cobweb spiders of similar size, I think Steatoda triangulosa is likely capable of biting -- but just won't bite except as a last resort when squished against skin.

ScutigeraJine

Arachnopeon
If it's like other cobweb spiders of similar size, I think Steatoda triangulosa is likely capable of biting -- but just won't bite except as a last resort when squished against skin.
And tbh the chances of coming into skin contact with them is pretty slim, they rarely leave their web, I'll do better in future episodes since the webtoon is supposed to be giving general information about species & families, think of Spiders for dummies.

Btw I'm gonna loathe when I have to do the ogre spider, they're really unsettling and I have to stare at pictures of them for an hour

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Btw I'm gonna loathe when I have to do the ogre spider, they're really unsettling and I have to stare at pictures of them for an hour
But they are kind of cute when they hang their with their nets between their front legs.

Earlier this season, we had several of them living in our blueberry plant.

They have very sensitive night vision and will quickly fold up their nets if disturbed.

A close-up shot of a different individual:

ScutigeraJine

Arachnopeon
But they are kind of cute when they hang their with their nets between their front legs.

Earlier this season, we had several of them living in our blueberry plant.

They have very sensitive night vision and will quickly fold up their nets if disturbed.

A close-up shot of a different individual:
I know, when I had hardcore arachnophobia it was the thought of the spider it was just the eyes on some spiders were just really unnerving like the wolf spider, but thankfully jumping spiders helped cope with it.

ChuckKristensen

Arachnopeon

Check out Mythbusters, episode 13
We showed that cellar spiders with circa 0.25mm fangs can bite a mythbuster ... probably humans as well :cool:)
The dead outer layer of uncalloused human skin can be as thin as 0.05 to 0.1mm thick ... about as thick as the 'skin' that spiders bite through on small insects.
Chuck
Spider Pharm