1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good hygrometers?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Zuzu, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Zuzu

Zuzu Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I'm trying to find an accurate hygrometer, which is proving to be difficult. Which one do you use/recommend? This will be for my mantis enclosures, so the smaller the better.

2. The Snark

The Snark Extremely jaded cynical yet optomistic Old Timer

3. soldierof4cheese

soldierof4cheese Arachnoknight Active Member

4. soldierof4cheese

soldierof4cheese Arachnoknight Active Member

5. The Snark

Old but relevant: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/accuracy-of-hygrometers.29704/

On the accuracy aspect of cheap meters, they can be off by as much as 50%. This really doesn't matter. Simply make your own equivalency scale. X=..., Y=.... etc. Just be sure that you map the gradient curve since it may not be (probably isn't) linear. IE at one end it could be 20% indicated=20% while at the other 90%=65% indicated.

6. user 666

user 666 Arachnobaron Active Member

I read that thread, and I am surprised that no one has mentioned the salt trick.

You can calibrate a cheap humidity sensor by sealing it in a small container with a pinch of salt and a drop of water.

The trick is that if you leave it alone for a few hours, the salt will keep the RH at 75%.

If your humidity sensor says 65% then you know it's under by 10 points. If it says 80%, you're over by 5 points.

Note the discrepancy, and when you use the sensor just add or subtract as needed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ghost56

Ghost56 Arachnobaron Active Member

I was just about to mention this.

8. Ghost56

Ghost56 Arachnobaron Active Member

I just skimmed through so I apologize if I missed it somewhere. Can the DYI ones be used above ground or just strictly in soil?

EDIT: Pretty sure it wouldn't work suspended in air, but I may be wrong.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  9. The Snark