1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good enclosure for slings?

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Pseudo, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Pseudo

Pseudo Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I have 2 slings who are around one inch. I have another coming in that is about the same size. Their species are Grammostola porteri, Acanthoscurria geniculata, and Brachypelma hamorii.

Is this a decent enclosure for them?

[​IMG]

If yes, how high should the substrate levels be?

edit: Those dividers should be good enough, too, right? I know a person who's tarantula ate through a divider and made the other tarantula dinner...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoprince Active Member

Not ideal, I would use individual deli cups instead. I take it that lid comes off in one piece? That will leave all three enclosures open every time you need to do maintenance or feed, and the possibility of one sling running into anothers space.

Not to mention that they will find their way through any gaps between the dividers if there are any...even the slightest. Too risky IMO.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnoknight

Texas
    Most keepers wouldn't recommend a joined enclosure like that, it makes maintenance much more difficult, especially considering it looks like it just has one lid that covers all three chambers.

Bah, @Nightstalker47 beat me to it. Individual containers are the way to go, yep yep yep!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Pseudo

Pseudo Arachnosquire

Alright, I will not get this then. Thank you! :happy:

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

As already mentioned, divided enclosures usually don't end well. House in deli cups.

6. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    It's already been stated that divided enclosure are terrible. I'll just repeat other alternatives for enclosures. Condiment cups are great as well as deli cups, which is what the majority use (I use them when the slings get to a certain size). For my smaller slings I use what seems to be an outdated alternative, which is using pill vials.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dannica

Dannica Arachnosquire

Condiment cups are great as stated above, but if you’re looking for something that is more “display” (which lots of keepers don’t display their slings and juvies, but I only have 25 total T’s right now so I display everyone lol), you can look into golf ball and baseball display cases at places like hobby lobby. Hot wheels/matchbox car display cases are also an option. They’re usually made of a clear acrylic that you can drill/melt ventilation into!

8. Bananafish

Bananafish Arachnopeon

Slings usually grow rather fast and will need rehousing soon, so something overly fancy isnt gonna cut it and it makes maintenance much more time consuming.
    However if you still prefer something more attractive than a deli cup, you could go to a dollar store and look for something nice yet not too shabby as an enclosure

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnoknight

no.
    I personally love using attractive enclosures even for a fast-growing sling. I recommend the Hobby Lobby display enclosures.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Pseudo

Pseudo Arachnosquire

Thanks for the advice. I ordered some deli cups that should come in two days. (Sadly, no local store sells deli cups with lids.) It wasn't so much that it was a display case. It is that it is only $12 and comes with substrate and water dishes. (I know they shouldn't get any until they are 2 inches.)

I will look into Hobby Lobby. So far, I have been getting bins from Walmart and drilling in holes for ventilation.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  11. Dannica

Dannica Arachnosquire

You can give them a water dish at whatever size as long as it is appropriate sized to the container. I saw one guy here using upturned monopoly houses. I personally use tiny vials that you would find ink in at a tattoo shop!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Many will recommend deli cups for slings, and they are in fact great, convenient way to keep your slings, and many others will recommend these (mini car display case) too.

20F1760C-8B83-47AB-877C-51EC8EA28A04.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Mpmackenna

Mpmackenna ArachnoNerd Arachnosupporter

I wish someone would bust through my wall and make me dinner.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    You might end up being the dinner itself instead!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

No-- dividers bad idea. There were 3...and then only 1.

• Sad Sad x 1
  16. Apestabrook

Apestabrook Arachnosquire

Hunger games T edition.

17. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnobaron

There's no way they can get to each other inside, the problem is when you remove the lid. They can easily run over the wall and either into the other spider's enclosure or just escape altogether. I'd recommend split ones so you don't have that problem, but it'd work hypothetically if you get something to cover the 2 you're not attending to while its open.