Good centipede for a beginner?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Chris, not totally understanding what you mean with the top statement regarding the critter keeper. Also, I've been seeing some blue Scolopendra polymorpha. Do these get big?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Chris, not totally understanding what you mean with the top statement regarding the critter keeper. Also, I've been seeing some blue Scolopendra polymorpha. Do these get big?
I wouldn't put, at all, a Scolopendridae (no matter the specie, no matter the size) into a KK (no matter the brand). While they can't climb smooth stuff, true, we should never undermine their intelligence and reach a too much 'comfy' level around those... for instance, 'pede are masters into "redecor" the house, they are able to move pieces of cork bark etc saw mine create a kinda "ladder" once, lol, for reach the top investigating for the existence of 'weak' spot for 'papillon' out :)

As far as I know, S.polymorpha reach however a nice size level, but not giants like Asian or certain Caribbean ones I'm sure.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
The blue polymorpha only get to about 5" or 6". Not so big.
Chris I couldn't agree more on the fact that cingulata is almost as agressive as dehaani. They are brutal with prey.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Awesome. Which enclosure type would you reccomend? Also, could large centipedes pose a harm to a small dog if it got loose? A small dog like a Chihuahua.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Also, could large centipedes pose a harm to a small dog if it got loose? A small dog like a Chihuahua.
In the case of Asian ones I'd love to say more a "yes" instead of a "no", because their venom is brutal. Brutal. Plus Chihuahua are a very small breed, not massive and strong like a Mastino Napoletano or Cane Corso so IMO a downhill on that sense.

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Yup definitely dangerous for your dog. One point which I disagree with you on chris is the use of kritter keepers. Quality ones have been and are very capable

keks

Arachnobaron
In the case of Asian ones I'd love to say more a "yes" instead of a "no", because their venom is brutal. Brutal. Plus Chihuahua are a very small breed, not massive and strong like a Mastino Napoletano or Cane Corso so IMO a downhill on that sense.
And the heart of some chihuahuas can be weak, that that is another point.

keks

Arachnobaron
Yup definitely dangerous for your dog. One point which I disagree with you on chris is the use of kritter keepers. Quality ones have been and are very capable
But only when the lid is protected with a metal mesh? I could imagine that a scolopender can squeeze through the spaces of the lid, or am I wrong?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
One point which I disagree with you on chris is the use of kritter keepers. Quality ones have been and are very capable
I'm a fan of KK (I use mostly German brands, like 'Dragon' etc) but not to the point to put an adult (especially adults) Scolopendridae inside one :)

Thing is... unlike for T's where (needed parameters aside) I keep the enclosures on the 'spartan' side (meaning... inches of substrate, water dish, a piece of cork bark and sometimes just a couple of fake leaves) with Scolopendridae I do the opposite: IMO 'pedes needs to be secure, so I offer a lot of stuff where they can hide, hence IMO the chance that they can use said decor for "create" a kinda ladder is, combined with the KK ventilation, too risky for me :-s

After all, if the "head can pass, so will the body" is to consider always.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But only when the lid is protected with a metal mesh? I could imagine that a scolopender can squeeze through the spaces of the lid, or am I wrong?
Well, in all honesty I think that an adult S.gigantea can't 'papillon' from an XXL KK like the one I use but, but... in life there's always a "but" so I'd love to remain in the 'safe' area :)

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
I understand your concern. I never tried to put pedelings inside as they are small enough to go through the plastic mesh at the top. But above 5" it's totally safe with the ones I use. Thus I don't mind if the pedes manage to get there, as I know for a fact they can't squeeze through. That even adds some fun to their nocturnal exploration lol
And I don't keep gigantea, galapagoensis or any true giants, which could maybe break the plastic. The biggest I have is hainanum and dehaani. :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Also, could large centipedes pose a harm to a small dog if it got loose? A small dog like a Chihuahua.
I want to add something happened to me that, if nothing, however explain pretty well that those (Asian 'pede) aren't however, despite their brutal venom, out for harm us nor they "search" for a clash.

Had a S.subspinipes pedeling that lived with me, in my house (I wasn't aware of his/her presence, of course... wasn't the classic purchase that escaped) for months, and I have four cats btw, that, basically, are free to go in/out 24/7.

Now of course cats are kinda ninjas when it comes to agility, and skilled hunters as well, but yet an Asian 'pede venom can probably put the lights out of those, no matter.

Anyway, months ago I spotted something crawling out of my house and, yes, was that pedeling that, not anymore a peedeling, managed to survive, molting, growing up.

Zero, nothing... he/she lived in full 'Solid Snake' stealth with/around us, without bites nor else :angelic:

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
What is the best container to house Scolopendra polymorpha in? What substrate should I use?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What is the best container to house Scolopendra polymorpha in? What substrate should I use?
Personally for centipedes I love to use Irish peat moss, here in Italy is very cheap, I usually buy bags of that.

I think that once the enclosure is a 'no escape' it's not important... I suggest plastic storage box, however. Cheap and easy to find :-s