Good Centipede Enclosure

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I'm looking for an enclosure to keep an S. subspinipes in and I was wondering if there were any pre-made ones out there. Thanks!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just use a standard glass reptile enclosure with a sliding screen top with a pin-lock. It works great - just make sure the total height from the top of the substrate to the top of the tank is greater than the length of the centipede. While centipedes cannot climb glass, they can do a really good job of leaning against it while standing up on only they rear-most legs. If they were able to get their front legs over the lip of the cage or into the screen, they could easily get to the top of the tank - and even escape, if the tank were ever left slightly ajar. I have an adult S. subspinipes in mine and the cage is roughly 12" square with several inches of eco earth and sphagnum moss in the bottom.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I just use a standard glass reptile enclosure with a sliding screen top with a pin-lock. It works great - just make sure the total height from the top of the substrate to the top of the tank is greater than the length of the centipede. While centipedes cannot climb glass, they can do a really good job of leaning against it while standing up on only they rear-most legs. If they were able to get their front legs over the lip of the cage or into the screen, they could easily get to the top of the tank - and even escape, if the tank were ever left slightly ajar. I have an adult S. subspinipes in mine and the cage is roughly 12" square with several inches of eco earth and sphagnum moss in the bottom.
Can they climb plastic or acrylic? I didn't think they could climb glass but it would be cool if they did lol.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can they climb plastic or acrylic? I didn't think they could climb glass but it would be cool if they did lol.
As long as the plastic or acrylic are smooth and non-porous, they cannot climb it - but if it has texture or pitting or any unevenness to the surface that they can get their claw tips into, they can climb it.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
As long as the plastic or acrylic are smooth and non-porous, they cannot climb it - but if it has texture or pitting or any unevenness to the surface that they can get their claw tips into, they can climb it.
Thanks! They'll make a great addition to my collection.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, S.subspinipes, now? I like your style! :)

Just checked the other day my baby, former 'evil mommy' (she throwed out almost 30 little dastards last year) for a control because she disappeared under the cork since months. Gently I've removed that piece of wood and she... "Sheesh! fast with that legs" and marvelous colours :angelic:

Amazing animals, immense hunters.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The best enclosure is:

- one that really (and I say really) is a no escapes one, with a bit of height for safety (keeper's one, I mean) and pede's comfy reasons (like a bit of height for add substrate... they love to burrow and hide under fake leaves, dirt, little stones, cork bark).

It doesn't matter the main material too much: glass, plastic etc key is the above and what chanda said ^

I use those clear, XXL sized, storage plastic boxes.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Ah ah, S.subspinipes, now? I like your style! :)

Just checked the other day my baby, former 'evil mommy' (she throwed out almost 30 little dastards last years) for a control because she disappeared under the cork since months. Gently I've removed that piece of wood and she... "Sheesh! fast with that legs" and marvelous colours :angelic:

Amazing animals, immense hunters.
AHHH! My old friend Chris, We meet again. Yeah I finally needed to fulfill my urge for dangerous inverts and get one of these. If you were wondering, The P. regalis is wimpy and I need a CHALLENGE! Well there's my random paragraph of nothing.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
The best enclosure is:

- one that really (and I say really) is a no escapes one, with a bit of height for safety (keeper's one, I meran) and pede's comfy reasons (like a bit of height for add substrate... they love to burrow and hide under fake leaves, dirt, little stones, cork bark).

It doesn't matter the main material too much: glass, plastic etc key is the above and what chanda said ^

I use those clear, XXL sized, storage plastic boxes.
Can I get a link? For the boxes. Yes those boxes. Thanks!

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Sure. No problem. But I can give the link for the ones I use, an Italian brand -- luckily, lol, in the U.S they are present, and in Texas if I'm not wrong :rofl:

Here, in particular, the one I used for mine:

http://www.kis.it/singola-variante?id=26720

My set up, btw v

View attachment 257032
I went to find it in the US and I cant find the darn 27L ones. Is there a magic knock or cheat codes? I might need to just hack into the mainframe and find them. (I'm not a hacker please don't report me to the cyberpolice.)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I went to find it in the US and I cant find the darn 27L ones. Is there a magic knock or cheat codes? I might need to just hack into the mainframe and find them. (I'm not a hacker please don't report me to the cyberpolice.)
I don't know :)

Here I can find those easily in the classics 'George A. Romero Zombies shopping malls' ah ah, as well on the Italian eBay. According to other Americans (and Canadians) the brand is present, but not sure of course if every model/size as well :-/

Anyway, my man, you can use another but similar 'storage box'. The important is height and 'clean' (you don't want "shady" stuff, visibility is key).

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I don't know :)

Here I can find those easily in the classics 'George A. Romero Zombies shopping malls' ah ah, as well on the Italian eBay. According to other Americans (and Canadians) the brand is present, but not sure of course if every model/size as well :-/

Anyway, my man, you can use another but similar 'storage box'. The important is height and 'clean' (you don't want "shady" stuff, visibility is key).
I found some similarly shaped ones with the dimensions of: 18" Tall, 12" Wide, 11" Deep. Would those work? Pretty tall. Also where am I supposed to put the holes? In the top, sides, bottom, inside, outside, in another cage or...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I found some similarly shaped ones with the dimensions of: 18" Tall, 12" Wide, 11" Deep. Would those work? Pretty tall. Also where am I supposed to put the holes? In the top, sides, bottom, inside, outside, in another cage or...
I'm not the best to deal with Inches unit but let's see... 18" height seems good, so the rest. Yeah, I think can work.

I've drilled little holes (never test their ability... mine put almost always, when she's out in the open, one forcipule out of one hole... the old statement that say: "if the head pass, so will the body" is 101% truth when dealing with those) in the top, and at the sides of the enclosure.

I'm a fan of ventilation (at the end Asian 'pedes require a decent level of humidity aka moist, not wet, substrate).

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I'm not the best to deal with Inches unit but let's see... 18" height seems good, so the rest. Yeah, I think can work.

I've drilled little holes (never test their ability... mine put almost always, when she's out in the open, one forcipula out of one hole... the old statement that say: "if the head pass, so will the body" is 101% truth when dealing with those) in the top, and at the side.

I'm a fan of ventilation (at the end Asian 'pedes require a decent level of humidity aka moist, not wet, substrate).
Okay Cool! Is top ventilation okay? I can do side vents but it seems safer to just to top. (thats what she said.)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Okay Cool! Is top ventilation okay? I can do side vents but it seems safer to just to top. (thats what she said.)
Well, everything depends about your 'pede size: you don't want a pedeling or a 'skinny' (lol) juvenile able to escape from the sides by the hole you made, at all.

But, in all honesty, 'full' juveniles and adults specimens can't escape by those said holes if those are little... for instance, sure, mine can 'throw' one forcipule out, but nothing else... the rest of her mouth and head can't pass, and they can't chew hard plastic :)

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Well, everything depends about your 'pede size: you don't want a pedeling or a 'skinny' (lol) juvenile able to escape from the sides by the hole you made, at all.

But, in all honesty, juvenile and adults can't escape by those said holes if those are little... for instance, sure, mine can 'throw' one forcipule out, but nothing else... the rest of her mouth and head can't pass, and they can't chew hard plastic :)
Okay cool. I have a 1/8" or .5 cm Drill bit that would work well for that. Also, What kind of shelving do you use? I feel like I need an upgrade as my tiny ikea shelf isn't gonna handle all my animals for long lol.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What kind of shelving do you use? I feel like I need an upgrade as my tiny ikea shelf isn't gonna handle all my animals for long lol.
I can't help you here, my friend. Majority of my house furnitures were 101% custom made by Lombardy wood artisans and such :)

Like this v

thumbnail_IMG_20171106_073939.jpg