Good beginner millipede

Nicolle Lindsey

Arachnopeon
So I plan on ordering a millipede. I have done a little research but I don't know what kind to get. In your opinion, what is the best beginner millipede?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Welcome to the wonderful world of diplopods, and Arachnoboards!
I would suggest Chicobolus spinigerus (Ivories) if you can keep them warm enough, as they really need temperatures between 70-80F, Archispirostreptus gigas (African Giant Black's or AGBs) if you can afford it, and then Narceus gordanus (Smoky Oak) if you don't mind not seeing them all the time. If you can provide large amounts of rotting wood I would also suggest Anadenobolus monillicornis (Bumblebee).
All of these will do well at room temperature (70-80F), and are pretty hardy from my experience (I have not kept A. gigas, but I hear it is one of the best beginner millipedes from several respected sources).

I would highly suggest you continue to research and ask around for information on the specific species you want to get, and to perhaps look into getting "Millipeds in Captivity" by Orin McMonigle, either the handbook or the larger book, as they provide invaluable information on keeping and breeding. A couple of websites I have found helpful are The Giant Millipede Resource...
http://petmillipede.weebly.com/
And Bugs in Cyberspace's care guide...
http://bugsincyberspace.com/Live_Pet_Millipede_Care.html

I would also suggest you ask some of the millipede veterans (some of which also sell some of the millipedes I mentioned above) on this here forum if you have more questions, such as @mickiem, @SFA, @Marika, and @Elytra and Antenna.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

Whitney Taylor

Arachnopeon
I started out a few months ago with Florida Ivories. Mine are fairly active on the surface, which I heard is pretty common for them compared to other millies, so they might be a good option if you want to see yours more often. They’re pretty hardy too.

Attachments

Nicolle Lindsey

Arachnopeon
I was leaning towards the ivories. They look really beautiful on the bugs in cyberspace webpage. I am def going to do more research as I don't like to dive into things unprepared

SFA

Arachnoknight
I totally agree, Florida Ivories are great beginner millipedes. They don’t cost a ton, they get decently big, they are super active, and they are gorgeous with fun personalities. And they are hardy!

SFA

Arachnoknight
Oh, and I would also recommend getting a few. That way if one decides to spend weeks molting you’ll still see your others in the meantime. Plus they seem to like having friends. Not that you can’t keep a single millipede, they just seem to LIKE other millipedes :)

Nicolle Lindsey

Arachnopeon
Ok I've decided on ivories for now. If I can keep those alive then in a few months or so I will get smokey oak or scarlet. Maybe even a bumblebee. I've found a website that sells nonsexed pairs.

Hermes

Arachnosquire
Orthoporus ornatus are a great beginner species too, like it slightly drier (but not dry) than most pedes, and get a respectable length though not super thick. There's even two color forms. Pretty cheap too, usually ten to fifteen bucks at a good reptile show. Reasonably active too. Ivories are superb beginners though as others have said, and are pretty easy to get breeding!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
bugsincyberspace usually has 1990's stock of Thai rainbows that I think are among the easiest (and one of the very oldest continuous stocks)