1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Beginner Arboreal Tarantula?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Felion, Oct 7, 2018.

1. LV-426

LV-426 Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    As long as you don’t mess with a T and leave it alone there shouldn’t be any worries about bites, and bolting away. Even if it bolts it will run to its hide most of the time. I have owned a bunch of arboreals (old world) but never an Avic, I may get an Avic in the future too see what they are about.

2. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I wouldnt recommend these to a new person, too fast.

IF you get an Avic as your first T (you're better off with a terrestrial to start)

1. Read the care links myself and @Venom1080 wrote up.
    2. Whatever you do, BEFORE, BEFORE you buy it, setup your container, then post here at this thread and let us comment

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnobaron Active Member

I keep hearing about this but I have never seen it with my T. violaceus. When I go to open her enclosure she WALKS at a normal pace to her hide. Maybe mine is unusual, but then other than slings I've rarely had any T. bolt on me.

4. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

You’re the only to report this here. Exceptions to all things in nature.

Widely regarded as the fastest genus on the planet.

5. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

A Caribena versicolor any reasonably priced Avicularia would make a great first arboreal. (I'd recommend getting a juvenile or adult as your first, as the slings are not as tolerant of mistakes.)

Contrary to what many pet stores and care sheets may tell you, these spiders do fine with dry substrate and no misting. They just need good ventilation and access to water.

Psalmopoeus are pretty hardy as well. However, they are faster and generally more defensive than Avics. For these reasons, they can be a bit of a handful for new keepers, especially rehousing a juvenile or adult. I'd recommend them as a second arboreal (or perhaps as a first arboreal for an intermediate keeper).

These two threads (linked earlier) contain helpful information:

I would strongly encourage you to post a photo of your setup (ideally before adding the tarantula) so that more experienced keepers can check for any issues that might jeopardize the health of your Avic.