1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Beginner Arboreal Tarantula?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Felion, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Felion

Felion Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hello everyone! I really want to get into tarantulas, as they are really fascinating to watch. I would really like a good arboreal tarantula that's for more beginners like me, any suggestions?

2. Embers To Ashes

Embers To Ashes Arachnoknight

I would suggest Avicularia avicularia. They tend to be a little nervous but they are beautiful and inexpensive. Also try searching the forum for beginner arboreals. I'm sure there are similar threads as this one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. tkid02

tkid02 Arachnosquire Active Member

any avicularia

4. Phormic28

Phormic28 Arachnoangel Active Member

Avicularia avicularia or Caribena versicolor, both are great looking tarantulas. Just make sure the enclosure is well ventilated and you’ll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

And keep the sub dry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Felion

Felion Arachnopeon

I really like this one! I'm gonna look into it more, thank you guys for helping me!

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Arachno HoneyBadger Arachnosupporter

ABQ
    Beware of the poop cannon....

I honestly had zero interest in arboreals, but picked up an A. avicularia and she is one of my favorite spiders. She likes to decorate her enclosure with poop..

[​IMG]

8. Felion

Felion Arachnopeon

Lovely haha, I can't wait to get a tarantula! Arboreal species are just so cool imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. spookyvibes

spookyvibes Arachnobaron Active Member

Indiana
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dragondrool

Dragondrool Arachnosquire Active Member

A. Avicularia of course! In my experience, very calm and patient with me. With every molt they get fluffier, and their pink toes and mouth are super cute.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

I have an avic because there one of my favorites. Great even for beginners!!!

12. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. Torech Ungol

Torech Ungol Arachnosquire Active Member

^This, for sure. Absolutely make sure to read these threads! While these tarantulas are good beginner arboreals, they aren't super forgiving of husbandry errors, so make sure you read these.

14. Felion

Felion Arachnopeon

Thanks for all this info! I really like the look of the Avicularia avicularia, very cute. I think I know which one I am gonna get now! Definitely gonna read those care guides first though.

15. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

i wouldnt recommend a Avicularia sling to a beginner. a larger specimen would be ideal. (1.5"+)

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Apestabrook

Apestabrook Arachnosquire

Caribena versicolor!

17. SonsofArachne

SonsofArachne Arachnoknight Active Member

Since everyone is going Avic. I'll put Tapinauchenius out there, either T. violaceus or T. gigas, especially if you're getting a sling. More forgiving of husbandry errors than Avics. They are fast, but once they feel secure it's not really a problem.

18. LV-426

LV-426 Arachnobaron

Psalmopoeus irminia would be my choice. My 1st arboreal was a P. cambridgei, great genus.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Sykomp

Sykomp Arachnopeon

Europe
    Psalmos are great! I have three, and for me they have been the easiest T's to keep. I'm unsure though would I recommend psalmo as a first tarantula, they are very fast and kind of bolty in a twitchy way, and the bite is said to be quite bad (they lack the urticating setae, so more potent venom).

I'd personally recommend going with an avic (or C. versicolor) rather than psalmo, if the first arboreal is also the first T.

20. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Caribena versicolor. For me adult females are the most beautiful tarantulas in the world. Stunning colours and fluffy to boot. My lass is out regularly and is a great eater.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 4