Goliathus - it has happened !!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Hopefully this will both increase their prevalence here in the states and decrease their prices because of captive rearing.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Don't forget, even though these are not regulated in the US any more, imports would still need a FWS import license
All we really need to do is convince some of those tarantula/scorpion importers who are already certified to import them in... Correct?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Hisserdude:
Yes, they eat only high protein food for 99% of their larval stage.
Yes, fermented sawdust alone should work to collect eggs. I added some crushed and whole hardwood leaves but not sure if it was necessary. Don't keep the substrate too moist.
For an enclosure, I used a 10 or 12 gallon plastic tote (would have to check on the size) and filled it over half way with substrate.
Awesome, that's great! I thought they ate way more decaying organic matter than that, no wonder they are allowing them to be kept here now. :)

Cool, while dead leaves aren't the easiest thing to come by here, I've got no shortage of sawdust available to ferment!

Ok, good to know! Thanks for all the info! :)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Just was quoted 300 USD for Goliathus orientalis preissi, kind of steep but I'd do it! For the permit, does it apply for all Goliathus species? Also, how do I go about applying for the permit?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just was quoted 300 USD for Goliathus orientalis preissi, kind of steep but I'd do it! For the permit, does it apply for all Goliathus species? Also, how do I go about applying for the permit?
I don't think the species you listed qualifies yet. As I understand it only the species list by the op are currently allowed.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, it is for only 3 of the 5 Goliathus species, and you would still need a wildlife import license for direct imports. I think for most people it will be easier when some of us who already have import permits start importing and/or breeding them.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Any idea why they didn't make all of the Goliathus species eligible for the permit? Just curious.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, I think it was partial miscommunication and partial lack of documentation on adult food sources in the wild.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, it will take a little while. It is difficult to find trustworthy people who live where they can be collected. I hope to have larvae available later this year!

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Yeah, it will take a little while. It is difficult to find trustworthy people who live where they can be collected. I hope to have larvae available later this year!
I had thought that getting people who already legally import reptiles/tarantulas from EU to the U.S. to import these beetles as well would be the easiest way, no?

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That would be easier and probably quicker but more expensive; UK guys would end up being the "middle man". It will be interesting to see how this all turns out. I'm trying to get mine breeding so I have some to send out as soon as I can.