Goliath birdeater covered in fuzz. Need help ASAP.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Urticating hair.

I kind of want to collect some of it one day.. for purely scientific purposes of course.
What kind of "scientific purposes" are you talking about. I wish to know for... reasons... research reason of course.
The same scientific purpose and reasons which included tarantula urticating hairs in joke itching powder in its early formulas?

boina

Lady of the mites
That's urticating hair??? :eek: I don't own a Theraphosa, so I've never seen anything like it and after seeing it that's another reason not to own a Theraphosa.

SingaporeB

Arachnopeon
That's urticating hair??? :eek: I don't own a Theraphosa, so I've never seen anything like it and after seeing it that's another reason not to own a Theraphosa.
The hairs of a stirmi are indeed horrible, but I've never seen that before. Mold was my first thought and snow was my second. I was going to suggest the OP bring the tarantula inside as winter comes early in Kansas.

grumpycow3

Arachnosquire
The hairs of a stirmi are indeed horrible, but I've never seen that before. Mold was my first thought and snow was my second. I was going to suggest the OP bring the tarantula inside as winter comes early in Kansas.
So you dare to disagree with venom1080? How do you even move?

Last edited:

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I am sorry you were confronted with something that was so disconcerting, but your concern has benefited me. I am thinking about obtaining a T. Stirmi and I am quite glad I am now aware of this interesting characteristic.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Mine did that before flipping over to molt. I had watched a bunch of T stirmi molting vids, so I knew what to expect.

Did yours finish the molt?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My Goliath birdeater, Miss prissy-pants, covered herself in her fuzz before turning over to shed. I’ve never seen any of my tarantulas do this before. She’s been in the same position for about 12 hours. She is responsive but not very much. Humidity is always at 80% and temp at 80. She is over ten but not sure how old. Like always she stopped eating two weeks ago. Do I need to worry??
I have never seen that done to that extent and it is pretty unbelievable. It's an urticating hair suit of armour.
Very cool, thanks for posting the photo.

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'm really glad to have seen this too - I've heard horror stories about Theraphosa hairs and this just screams a bad time to me! :anxious: Would still love to have one, but this is definitely something I'll be keeping in mind before I officially make that plunge lol.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
I'm really glad to have seen this too - I've heard horror stories about Theraphosa hairs and this just screams a bad time to me! :anxious: Would still love to have one, but this is definitely something I'll be keeping in mind before I officially make that plunge lol.
The plus side is that it's totally avoidable if you take simple precautions like gloves. I got haired because of my rush to action and poor planning - both are likely because I was very green (I'm still green...maybe just a little lighter).

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
The plus side is that it's totally avoidable if you take simple precautions like gloves. I got haired because of my rush to action and poor planning - both are likely because I was very green (I'm still green...maybe just a little lighter).
Very true. I'll be sure to invest in a hazmat! :troll:

(But seriously. Gloves will have to be a definite.)

Nmilburn14

Arachnosquire
Purely curious here, but the mentions of hair flying everywhere when removing Theraphosa molts got me thinking: have you ever tried wetting down the area with the hairs before removing the molt? I would think that would make them clump together and less likely to become airborne...

Arachnoclown

Arachnosquire
Purely curious here, but the mentions of hair flying everywhere when removing Theraphosa molts got me thinking: have you ever tried wetting down the area with the hairs before removing the molt? I would think that would make them clump together and less likely to become airborne...
I wet down the enclosure entirely when doing substrate changes or cleaning up...rubber gloves as well. Baby powder on arms when changing substrate out helps too, it blocks your pores. Learned that from installing insulation.

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
Cool thread. I learned something. :)

Stirmi hasn't made my short list yet. I'm torn between adding one to the list just for this super cool behavior, or crossing them off permanently for the hassle.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Baby powder on arms when changing substrate out helps too, it blocks your pores. Learned that from installing insulation.
Haven't heard about this one yet,is worth a go. Not sure if baby powder is safe to use around a spider though...