Goliath bird eater

Mlynn

Arachnopeon
My tarantula has been acting off for a few days she has been staying curled up in a corner she acts like she's getting ready to molt this is my first tarantula I have owned I need some tips or advice.
Many thanks

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
'Curling up in a corner' - that doesn't sound like molting behavior. Can you post a pic of the spider and the set up?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Curled up is a stress signal..... Goliath Bird Eater??? You need to use scientific names, "goliath bird eater" can indicate many kinds of species. And a picture would be helpful on giving us a clue.

Mlynn

Arachnopeon
She's a theraphosa blondi when i get back to the house ill send pictures.

15425789717681015337674.jpg 1542579035913-1026318116.jpg 1542579035913-1026318116.jpg

15425791200651660215985.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mlynn

Arachnopeon
Yes that is a heat lamp we were told to put one over her and not to use heating pad. And she has been like this for 3 days

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah that one has passed away, sadly pet stores are terrible with tarantulas and not to be trusted...poor thing was doomed to die in those conditions.

If you decide to give it another shot, please read up on the proper care of this genus. Look to purchase from tarantula breeders/vendors as well, and you will receive healthier specimens and much better advice.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/theraphosa-care-and-info.303033/

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Yes that is a heat lamp we were told to put one over her and not to use heating pad. And she has been like this for 3 days
I wouldn't use a heat lamp directly over the tarantula, there are ways that some users heat tarantulas using heat lamps, but it's not by directly placing it over them as it can essentially 'cook them alive'. And if it's been like that, not moving for three days, it could very well be dead at this point unfortunately.

Mlynn

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry I should clarify she has been moving around stiffly but she always goes back to this spot and we got her from a breeder and she told us what to do and we have done extensive resource but there is little on the internet sadly

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
looks pretty dead to me...sorry for the loss, dont ever listen to pet stores. there was a good T blondi care thread here it was very insightful. anything like heat lamps, mats, rocks will kill a T into cooked jerky. this is not exactly an easy T or a beginner one, but the popularity causes it to die often. it also looked to have too much vertical space. also not enough burrow room. and is that a sponge? Ts dont drown they dont need that. I hope this doesn't discourage you as it is a sad sad learning lesson that research is necessary for all Ts even if the pet store pretends to know dirt about Ts. poor fella died to another heat lamp. I swear this hobby is too sad. Im pretty sure these guy are like one of the only Ts that actually like water.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I'm sorry I should clarify she has been moving around stiffly
The tarantula is a goner, nothing recovers from that kind of death curl.
we got her from a breeder and she told us what to do and we have done extensive resource but there is little on the internet sadly
Then your getting it from all the wrong places, that person cannot of known what they were talking about.

Read the Theraphosa thread, everything you need to know is in there...if you follow that by the book this wont happen again.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
@Mlynn sorry for your t... don’t trust pet stores! good thing you’re in the ‘boards now.
I wouldn't use a heat lamp directly over the tarantula, there are ways that some users heat tarantulas using heat lamps, but it's not by directly placing it over them as it can essentially 'cook them alive'. And if it's been like that, not moving for three days, it could very well be dead at this point unfortunately.
@antinous hmm i wouldn’t use a heat lamp whatsoever. only heating device i would consider is a space heater (not a fan heater). and that’s considering using one. almost every species is fine at room temp ~72F

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
@Mlynn sorry for your t... don’t trust pet stores! good thing you’re in the ‘boards now.

@antinous hmm i wouldn’t use a heat lamp whatsoever. only heating device i would consider is a space heater (not a fan heater). and that’s considering using one. almost every species is fine at room temp ~72F
There are experienced users who have been keeping T's for much longer than I have and they're used them fine. @Exoskeleton Invertebrates has a set up where the lights aren't pointed/directed at his Ts and that's how he heats them. I use an 'incubator' method to heat my slings/juvies with a heat mat that's not directly touching the enclosure. You can use heating devices other than space heaters, there's just a smart way you need to go about it.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
The op direct messaged me about this. Without seeing pictures I said it might be too dry and to add water to the sub and to post here - sad to see I was right, and too late.

I use heat lamps for my desert scorpions that need higher than room temps. I noticed when on cooler days my G. pulchra on the next shelf moves to the heat lamp side. I did, however cover most of that side with insulation to keep her from getting too much heat.

Last edited:

Mlynn

Arachnopeon
We believe we have found the problem she was dehidrated and are currently recorecting the problem thank you everyone

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
We believe we have found the problem she was dehidrated...
It died purely from dehydration, yes. The heat lamp dried out the enclosure, which was dry to begin with. On top of that, it looks like you have a sponge in the water dish. That actually makes it incredibly difficult for them to drink. A simple dish of water will do.

As others have said, this is a humid species. The substrate should never be allowed to dry out. The "breeder" you got her from clearly lied about breeding. If they knew the first thing about tarantulas, they would have guided you correctly.

Mlynn

Arachnopeon
wow thats pretty crazy. I thought you said it was like that for three days...hope it will fully pull through.
In a way she was she moved very very little and stiffly but know she's acting and looking a bit better