"Golden" scorpion

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There is a teensy little scorpion at the local pet store that recently gave birth to a bunch of little scorplets (did I just make that word up?) so it's a definite adult female. She's only about 1.5 inches to 2 inches MAX and a pale yellowish color. Any clue what species this might be? Sorry I can't provide any pics. I assume it's something common since they have it on their wholesale pricelist at the store.

-Kelly

rainman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
mesobuthus martensii gets about that size. i own one. common name is chinese golden scorpion.

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome to the scorpion forums!!!

I`ve seen alot of your posts in the T forums, and am happy to see you`re pickin up an interest in scorps!

Mat

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
Is the main part of the body a darker /greyish color or is it yellowish like the legs and pedipalps?

Or...does it look like this :

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/m_martensii2.jpg

http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/m_martensii4.jpg

Note the darker color of the 5th tail segment...many Buthid scorpions have a darker 5ht segment.

John
];')

More like the 2nd one. It's mostly embedded in a piece of bark so I can't see much of the body these days but the tail sometimes sticks out so I might be able to look for that darker segment. Thanks so much!

kellygirl

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by chau0046
Welcome to the scorpion forums!!!

I`ve seen alot of your posts in the T forums, and am happy to see you`re pickin up an interest in scorps!

Mat
Thanks for the welcome! I'm still pretty scared of scorps. I sold my Emps which I didn't have for very long. I hopped into scorpions before I was ready. This time around, I think I'll do a lot more learning before I buy a new one.

kellygirl

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Well KG,

Just so you know...if it is an M.martensii they are a bit on the hot side as far as scorps go. About the same as the N american species Centruroides exilicauda which has been responsible for deaths in the past.

John
];')