Golden Lancehead VS other venomous snakes

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I never see the Golden Lancehead ranked with other top venomous snakes, but it has such a hype of being super venomous and melting skin.

Is there any studies on how their venom ranks with the other deadly snakes?

Attachments

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I think that sometimes enters as a factor the particular area where an animal lives. This snake (and for spiders S.hahni, for instance) lives in a literally no man's land, unlike other more famous venomous snakes :)

I have noticed that IMO seems that no one bother too much in studying/researches etc in cases like that.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I've read that golden lanceheads are particularly venomous because the only warm-blooded vertebrates on their island are birds. If a bird isn't killed almost immediately, it will quickly fly too far to be trackable by scent in the air, and needless to say, flying animals don't leave a scent trail on the ground. I don't think anyone has done an actual test of the toxicity, though (like an ld50 or whatever).

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They're so unique, so venomous and only found on that tiny island. Such a mystique around them

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Hey, don t underestimate science ! :D
There are quite enough works on venom of this species, part of them is mentioned by Duarte et al. 1995 :
Snímka1.PNG

As for LD 50, here are results for this species according to Cogo et al. 1993 :
Snímka2.PNG

Last edited:

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I find the species Bothrops insularis beyond fascinating. The fact that they survive on that tiny island, and have survived numerous attempts at annihilation, makes for some heavy history.