Going out of town and tiny sling just molted.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I'm going out of town. All my Ts are well fed with the exception of a 1/4 inch E. sp. (Red). It just molted today (out of the blue). I will not be back in town for a week. Will it be ok left behind without food at that size for that amount of time. I can bring it with me to feed it. Its not like it would be an inconvenience, it is in a pill vile. What are your thoughts. Thanks!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm going out of town. All my Ts are well fed with the exception of a 1/4 inch E. sp. (Red). It just molted today (out of the blue). I will not be back in town for a week. Will it be ok left behind without food at that size for that amount of time. I can bring it with me to feed it. Its not like it would be an inconvenience, it is in a pill vile.
It should be fine. (It shouldn't be fed for at least a few more days anyway, as its fangs are soft.)

I wouldn't travel with a freshly molted tarantula if I could avoid it, as you don't want it to be jostled around while it is soft and vulnerable. Just make sure it has damp substrate and access to water.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
I say you're fine. In fact, I typically wait at least a week after a molt before I attempt feeding anyways. Just be sure there is enough moisture in there to last the week, and you should be ok.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
It should be fine. (It shouldn't be fed for at least a few more days anyway, as its fangs are soft.)

I wouldn't travel with a freshly molted tarantula if I could avoid it, as you don't want it to be jostled around while it is soft and vulnerable. Just make sure it has damp substrate and access to water.
Beat me by 3 mins.... haha!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm going out of town. All my Ts are well fed with the exception of a 1/4 inch E. sp. (Red). It just molted today (out of the blue). I will not be back in town for a week. Will it be ok left behind without food at that size for that amount of time. I can bring it with me to feed it. Its not like it would be an inconvenience, it is in a pill vile. What are your thoughts. Thanks!
Depends on the size of abdomen, it's a judgement call. Generally, I believe most species can do without food for a few days even after a molt. However, water, not all of them IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't eat, nor surprised if it did eat. This locality is a tricky one to figure out when it will eat.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'd moisten the substrate a bit and drop in a bit of cut food (I use dubia nymphs cut up) and call it good. If it wants to eat it can and if not no big harm to have a tiny bit of food in there for a week. It can draw moisture out of the sub if it needs it.

Good luck on the Bar.