Going on vacation...

Thekla

Arachnoprince
... is there anything I can do apart from the obvious?

So, I'm going on vacation on Thursday for 10 days. Normally I wouldn't worry, but for one there's a serious heatwave coming up and secondly, I've got a tiny, tiny B. albo sling in heavy premoult. I hoped he would've moulted a few days before I had to leave, but now it seems, he's gonna moult the moment I close the door behind me. :confused:

20180724_premoult.jpg

My flat actually doesn't get too warm, but there'll be still temperatures in the high 70s/low 80s while I'm gone, I guess. And therefore the water evaporates relatively quickly. I'm pretty sure all my other Ts will be fine, but that sling kinda worries me. If he indeed moults at the beginning of my vacation, he won't get any food until I'm back. That and the possibility that the water might not last, made me think if there was anything else I could do to ensure, he'll be fine. Or do I worry too much? ;)

That's his set up:

20180724_set up.jpg

Half of the substrate is moist, there's also a water dish (as you can see ;)) and some wet sphagnum moss. Do you think it'll suffice? Or would it be sensible to put the cup in a bigger container with some moist tissue or towel? If so, what size of container would you recommend and how much ventilation should there be?

Thanks a lot in advance! :)

Albino Characterantula

Arachnosquire
My 2 cents: If you're concerned about moisture then wet half substate until it soaks to bottom of enclosure, sphagnum moss will help with humidity. Overfill water cup the moment you're walking out. DO NOT switch to bigger enclosure as this will only stress the T out. Slings don't require TOO much ventilation, 4-5 little holes on top of lid should suffice. I'd wait to get a bit more feedback from the veterans but that's what I would do. Slings, especially B Alb., do well in humidity and I think for the most part are required to be kept in higher humidity.

Anyway, best of luck!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Oh, I didn't want to rehouse him. I wanted to put the whole cup into a bigger container that contained extra moisture, so the water wouldn't evaporate so quickly. ;)

But thanks for the tip with the ventilation. I'm always a bit paranoid when it comes to ventilation, and right now the lid has loads of tiny holes, so I could switch to a lid with fewer holes. :)

boina

Lady of the mites
Can't you find someone to look after the sling for 10 days? The weather being as it is at the moment I understand you being worried...

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Can't you find someone to look after the sling for 10 days? The weather being as it is at the moment I understand you being worried...
Unfortunately not. :( The people around me are all afraid of spiders, and the ones that are not, don't live in this part of Germany. :confused:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, you can put the enclosure into a larger one with more moisture in it. I have done this when going on vacation and it works great. You can also put in a larger water dish that will hold more water and not evaporate as fast.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yes, you can put the enclosure into a larger one with more moisture in it. I have done this when going on vacation and it works great. You can also put in a larger water dish that will hold more water and not evaporate as fast.
Thanks! :) How big should the larger one be? And what kind of ventilation do you recommend for it?

I also thought about putting it into the bathroom. It's probably the coolest room in my flat with all the tiles and such. Would that be a good idea?

Mr B Smithi

Arachnopeon
I am away myself for 10 days too soon with a 33oc heatwave in London with a B hamorii sling 1-2cm. Just moisten some of the substrate (put a little furrow down the side with a pen) and insert water with a pipette so the substrate at the bottom gets wet. Do the same to the spagum moss and fill up the water dish.
Don’t worry about feeding if she/he molts as the sling will need to harden up anyway. Try feeding it if not molted before you go and take out remains before you go to avoid any mold. Should be fine either way feeding wise.
Like you, we will take all the tips, but we will still worry with this crazy heat!.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I am away myself for 10 days too soon with a 33oc heatwave in London with a B hamorii sling 1-2cm. Just moisten some of the substrate (put a little furrow down the side with a pen) and insert water with a pipette so the substrate at the bottom gets wet. Do the same to the spagum moss and fill up the water dish.
Don’t worry about feeding if she/he molts as the sling will need to harden up anyway. Try feeding it if not molted before you go and take out remains before you go to avoid any mold. Should be fine either way feeding wise.
Like you, we will take all the tips, but we will still worry with this crazy heat!.
I'm actually going to London on Thursday. :D

And yeah, I planned to do all that. Just wondering if there was anything else I could do. ;) As for feeding, I'll definitely try, but he already refused its mealie on Sunday, so, I guess I won't have any luck in that department. ;)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Much to my displeasure, my T room (aka my bedroom) routinely gets into the mid 80s. Also to my displeasure, my Ts are sometimes quite picky about what they eat (my A. purpurea sling is driving me nuts with it's pickiness). Some of my more reclusive/picky slings have had to go more than 10 days for food at times for any feeders I have to have babies so I have live prey to offer them.

As long as you fill that water dish (or perhaps add a larger one or a second or third one) before heading out, I honestly wouldn't be too worried

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks! :) How big should the larger one be? And what kind of ventilation do you recommend for it?

I also thought about putting it into the bathroom. It's probably the coolest room in my flat with all the tiles and such. Would that be a good idea?
You can use whatever you have that can fit the smaller enclosure. Ventilation can be roughly similar to any other enclosure. Put some wet paper towels or just pool some water in the bottom.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Mid 80s is paradise. I have only run my AC a handful of times this year.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Just checking... would this be okay? Or did I overdo it? ;)

20180725_vacation set up1.jpg 20180725_vacation set up2.jpg

I moistened 1/2 - 2/3 of the enclosure pretty well, so it feels moist to the touch, but not soaking wet. Added a second water dish (obviously ;)) and placed the whole thing in a bigger container with really wet tissue paper.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
So, I came home in the dead of night and could only check if everyone was alive and kicking before I collapsed into my bed. But yes, everyone's fine! :D Well, in case of my C. elegans I'll assume everything's fine because her burrow is still closed off (she buried herself in the day before I left). ;)

But most importantly my wee B. albo has moulted seemingly without any problems and was just very, very hungry. :p

20180806_102952.jpg

It grabbed the mealie (I cut off its head first) as soon as it hit the ground. :astonished: