going grey?

Dodgers

Arachnopeon
hello i bought my first T a few weeks ago (pink toe btw) and his front 4 legs seem to be going grey does anyone know wot this is? could he be coming upto a molt? if so are there any special things i should do? like up the humidity or anything ... i have read that some T's like to molt in a hide or burrow but pink toe's are arboreal so will they just do it out in the "open"

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What size is your Avic & what sort of set-up, tank size, ramp or branch or lean-to for it to web on? Details...we need details!
BTW, welcome to the board... ;)

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
is there any possibility it is NOT a Pinktoe? grey would be a weird color for an avicularia. post some pics and we can help you better...

Oh yeah wellcome to arachnoboards

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pheonixx said:
is there any possibility it is NOT a Pinktoe? grey would be a weird color for an avicularia. post some pics and we can help you better...

Good point, Pheonixx. I just recently saw a G.rosea marked as a Pink-toe, in Petco. :?

Dodgers

Arachnopeon
i think from what i have seen it is a pinktoe heres a couple of pics ..
i havnt got any recent pics of it or the enclosure i will get some 2moz
it has got about 2" legspan the enclosure is 2x1.5x1.5 ft (LxHxW) i have got a hide, large peices of bark up the sides, water bowl and some greenery does this sound ok? i have tryed to read up about them but there is nothing very specific its all "general T care"

Last edited:

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Too much stress, haha...jk.

I have no clue! Sounds kinda odd to me. I know snakes eyes turn opaque when about the shed, but never heard of it in a tarantula. Are you SURE its an Avic. avic? Perhaps a pic? <<<< hey, that rhymed, lol

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the first pic shows some grey but that appears to be flash or lighting washout. the second pic shows nothing out of the ordinary for avicularia coloration. yes that is a "pinktoe" also known as Avicularia avicularia

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Could be A. metallica. They can have a greyish sheen in certain lights. Does your Avic. have red hairs on the abdomen that didn't show up in the picture? At any rate, it's definitely an Avicularia of some sort.

Arboreal tarantulas will molt in their webs. Nothing for you to worry about there.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think i solved it!!!

It sure as hell looks like a mature male avic. i added a "modified" pic and circled what might be spurs.....and this maturity wouold explain the lack of red hairs...it's size also might tell me it is mature. below his pic is my mature male...

heres the pic of HIS avic...

here is my mature male...

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Dodgers, can you get a pic that shows a better side view of the first two legs and includes a clear view of the pedipalps?

Dodgers

Arachnopeon
spidergoddess said:
Dodgers, can you get a pic that shows a better side view of the first two legs and includes a clear view of the pedipalps?
the what? i dont really tend to touch him im a bit of a wussy i just keep him as a "look at" pet lol you say he will molt in his web but he hasnt made one since i got him

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The pedipalps are the two smaller leg like appendages next to the fangs. In a male they take on some distinctive shapes at maturity. If you can get a pic of them and post it then most people can help you better determine the sex that way.

Dodgers

Arachnopeon
well i havnt been able to get any good pics of him but i got him out on a peice of card and i could definatly see hook like things on his pedipalps he is very quick i about pooed myself because he ran up the card and onto my hand argggg .... the greyness i was talking about has gone now perhaps it was just the light? ....as i said in my previous post he hasnt made a web since i got him is there anything i should do to "help" him? also how will i be able to tell if he is coming upto a molt? sorry about all the questions
p.s how long will he live? :(

Last edited:

spidergoddess

spidergoddess
Old Timer
Here is a pic of a male tarantula, with arrows and labels. If your spider has the hooks on his first pair of legs at the location shown, then he is a mature male for sure. He may never make any more webs to live in, and he surely won't molt again. His life span will not be very much longer - 6-8 months tops from the time he last molted, from what I understand about A. avicularia. Ask all the questions you can think up! Learning is a good thing. :D

Attachments

Dodgers

Arachnopeon
well i managed to get a photo that show what i think are the hooks what do you think?

Attachments

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
might be but then again the palps dont look bulbous (boxing gloves)