Glow in the dark mushrooms

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I got these for Christmas. Haven't used them yet, though. But I bet they'll be awesome.

This is what comes inside the bag:

It comes with instructions, information, candle, and the plugs.

As far as instructions, you need an oak log or some other hard wood that is at least 2 - 4 inches in diameter, 6 - 10 inches long. Log has to be fresh cut. 5/16' drill bit to drill holes in the log, etc etc. It's pretty specific on how to do it.

They glow on their own & all day. But we can't see it in the day for obvious reasons. They're all natural and not human altered, etc. Not poisonous, but still not recommended for eating... etc etc etc.

I'm pretty excited to try it out. :)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats! I hope its awesome. Kinda akward it comes with a candle?
I got these for Christmas. Haven't used them yet, though. But I bet they'll be awesome.

This is what comes inside the bag It comes with instructions, information, candle, and the plugs.

As far as instructions, you need an oak log or some other hard wood that is at least 2 - 4 inches in diameter, 6 - 10 inches long. Log has to be fresh cut. 5/16' drill bit to drill holes in the log, etc etc. It's pretty specific on how to do it.

They glow on their own & all day. But we can't see it in the day for obvious reasons. They're all natural and not human altered, etc. Not poisonous, but still not recommended for eating... etc etc etc.

I'm pretty excited to try it out. :)

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! I hope its awesome. Kinda akward it comes with a candle?
Apparently you need to wax them. If you leave part of the spawn un waxed, they'll die. "Waxing seals the inoculation sites to prevent moisture loss and contamination from invading the fresh hole. Wax must be applied in its liquid state, meaning hot and melted. Your kit includes a paraffin wax candle for this procedure, or you can melt it in a pan and apply with a brush."

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats crazy. Learn something new everyday. Thanks! Be sure to post pics when they are growing.
Apparently you need to wax them. If you leave part of the spawn un waxed, they'll die. "Waxing seals the inoculation sites to prevent moisture loss and contamination from invading the fresh hole. Wax must be applied in its liquid state, meaning hot and melted. Your kit includes a paraffin wax candle for this procedure, or you can melt it in a pan and apply with a brush."

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah the shrooms are, as stated before, Panellus stipticus also called fox fire.

Small bit of info that might be a deal breaker for anyone looking to buy these: It takes approximately 2 to 3 months for them to sprout. They grow better on hard wood in a terrarium setting for some reason and the kicker... some people have reported that they lose their bio-luminescence after about 36 to 72 hours.

All in all I am still thinking of getting some for my tank, depending on if the other stuff I ordered ever arrives in time for me to start my set up an allow the tank to season a bit before i get my frogs in April or May.

Shecky

Arachnopeon
they dont look like a typical mushroom or like the one on the package, they look more like half of a circle growing off the side of the tree. not much for a stem or stalk on it. and for the bioluminescence it is not very pronounced. i used to see em in florida, its a dull glow if anything. and it will take prolly 6 months not 2 or 3. id save my money unless theyre a gift. then what can ya lose

pyro fiend

Arachnoprince
i know this is pretty old thread... but curiosity got the best of me... has anyone got pictures of these. iv seen other people mention these in similar forums. noone ever shows a pic tho. im kinda curious if its flimsey or if it looks goofy etc. also curious what others recommend to put with, other plants, an animals? nothing? other fungus etc. did an yone elese have the same time frame as shecky? i know of some kid saying it took 2months to bud. but iv also heard them not working period..

iv eyeballed these a few times but never got them due to lack pictures and opinions

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are actually quite a few species, at least 71, of fungus which have bioluminescence. To clear something up earlier, "glow in the dark" is a term loosely used which often causes confusion. These mushrooms, as well as other organisms on Earth, typically glow (ie emit light) because of an enzymatic reaction.

There is no light that causes these organisms to "glow", they do it all on their own.

Here's another one, supposedly the brightest. It's so bright you can read a newspaper by it.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wi...he-dark-mushroom-rediscovered-after-170-years

It's easy to find pictures, just embrace the Google!

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I bought a package off ebay several months ago. The mycelia grew a bit but I doubt I'll ever see a mushroom. $15 for some wood pellets. Unlike the vendor information, the mycelia do not glow AT ALL.

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
I have been looking for glow in the dark fungus for my glow spot roaches, does anyone have experience using this with that purpose in mind?

lagomorphette

Arachnosquire
I found another place to buy P stipticus. This source is cheaper, plus the company is all about mushrooms/spores...so maybe you'd have better luck with it?
http://sporeworks.com/Panellus-stipticus-Luminescent-Panellus-Culture-Syringe.html

about the species...
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/panellus_stipticus.html

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 10:48 AM ----------

what type of soil and the tree for these mushrooms?
They grow on rotting hardwood & are native to north america (tropical & temperate climates). I'm betting they'll need some rich, compost-y-ish soil...

ShamanicHerps

Arachnopeon
I found another place to buy P stipticus. This source is cheaper, plus the company is all about mushrooms/spores...so maybe you'd have better luck with it?
http://sporeworks.com/Panellus-stipticus-Luminescent-Panellus-Culture-Syringe.html

about the species...
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/panellus_stipticus.html

---------- Post added 04-02-2014 at 10:48 AM ----------

They grow on rotting hardwood & are native to north america (tropical & temperate climates). I'm betting they'll need some rich, compost-y-ish soil...
Sporeworks isn't a bad vendor by any means, but I myself go with a different vendor out of personal preference, there is no other hobby that is as addicting as growing your own mushrooms, there are many edibles that come in such great shapes, and colors!

skippydude

Arachnobaron
Just got this one in a culture trade today, can't wait to grow glow in the dark mushies with the grand kids :biggrin:

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
I got the glow mushroom log for my girlfriend. The instructions were not very detailed so we had to do a little guess work, but she had a first flush of small mushrooms. They do glow on their own all day and all night, but are only visible when it's dark. A second flush is coming from the bottom. It's neat but I don't find it to be as amazing as I hoped, then again, it's still growing so it may end up being very amazing.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
If you want an awesome glow-in-the-dark mushroom, you want THESE:

Jack-O-Lantern mushrooms! (dont eat them!) They grow in rotting hardwood, and love oak.

Acro

Aziz! Light!
Old Timer
I tried posting a photo of her mushroom log but I can't seem to get the picture to work. Did something change in the past few months with uploading photos?

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You could have used up all your space, or maybe the picture needs resized.
I tried posting a photo of her mushroom log but I can't seem to get the picture to work. Did something change in the past few months with uploading photos?