1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glomeris and Rhopalomeris sp. questions.

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by Arthroverts, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    Hello all, I have been looking to get some hardy pill millipedes (if such things exist) and try my hand at breeding them. I found that isopod.com carries Rhopalomeris sp. and Glomeris pulchra from time to time, and I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with them? They seem to be quite hardy from what I hear, but does anybody have some first-hand experience they can share? @CHLee, do you have experience with these species?

Many thanks,

Arthroverts

2. davehuth

davehuth Arachnoknight Active Member

Hi! I've kept both genera, and several species of Glomeris. I had the most success with G. pulchra (the most active, visible, and hardy). However, they're all tricky in my experience. A group of more than 20 G. pulchra that thrived for 5 months without issues all died off quickly after I rehoused them to conditions I thought were identical, just in a larger enclosure. So there's some sensitivity to these guys that aren't fully understood. A good number of people in the states are experimenting with conditions (you can find some of the discussions in various invert facebook groups), and the UK has had access to them for longer. People suggest starting with very woody substrate, live mosses, hardwood leaves, medium moisture, good ventilation, and limestone, and high 60s-low 70sF (though I've heard lots of variation in temps). What's best after that is not widely tested. I'm pretty skeptical overall, because I tried hard and was as smart about it as I could be, trying several things. I won't try again though since I think it's unethical to repeatedly bring animals into my home after I've tried and failed. But others online swear by their success. If you decide to try make sure you read every scrap of info online that you can, and give them lots of attention.

Definitely stay away from the larger Madagascar/SE Asia Sphaerotheriida species – those just can't make it in captivity until someone in their native regions cracks the code.

3. Polenth

Polenth Arachnoknight Active Member

I didn't initially answer as I don't have that exact species, but given the lack of response, I've had Glomeris marginata for about five months now. They're too young to breed, but they're growing and doing well. I seem to have more luck feeding them supplementary food than a lot of people, but that's probably because I dust fresh food with Arcadia Insect Fuel (it's an alfalfa based food and also contains calcium). They'll eat pretty much anything dusted with that.

I've seen them nibble a bit on the moss I've given them, but wood and leaves are the preference. They also don't seem to burrow much, so I didn't worry as much about the substrate (it's still deep to keep the microclimate, but I only mixed wood/leaves in the top few inches). They have plenty of wood and leaves on the surface, which is mostly what they eat and hide in.

The big issue is likely to be the summer heat, but I have a new air conditioner, so I'm hopeful they'll make it through summer. The temperature in my room usually sits between 20-21C and hasn't risen above about 23C.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Elytra and Antenna

Elytra and Antenna Arachnoking Old Timer

USA
    You can find an article on reproduction for G. pustulata in Invertebrates-Magazine:
    June 2016: Goliathus regius in the wild,Acanthoscurria geniculata part I, Parcoblatta americana culturing shiny isopods, and Glomeris pustulata development.
    and
    April 2019: The Deroplatys mantis genus, buckeye butterfly life cycle, Medusa's sisters starfish, speckled banana roach, Rhopalomeris Pill Millipeds.
    There has been a bit of success in the short-term and they breed easy, but there is more to learn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Schledog

Schledog Arachnosquire

I was about to mention that article @Elytra and Antenna. Ah well. Theres also a December 2018 article which talks about G. klugii

• Helpful Helpful x 1