Gila Monsters!!!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Hey Guys,

Here is one of my puppies lapping up some egg yolk:

[YOUTUBE]ZEmo06GAGRY[/YOUTUBE]

Gilas love to eat eggs in the wild and mine are no different.
Awesome! You're taking excellent care of them, too. Everyone I see always just overfeeds their helos.. They want the "plump" looking stereotypical Gilas.. Good job on multiple hides, as well. Many people fail to do this!

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Awesome! You're taking excellent care of them, too. Everyone I see always just overfeeds their helos.. They want the "plump" looking stereotypical Gilas.. Good job on multiple hides, as well. Many people fail to do this!
Thanks for the comments mate.

Feeding: These animals are programmed to eat anything they can find as they need to store fat for hibernation and as food is scarce in their environment. Therefore keepers can get them obese very easily. Mine eat a decent size food item once a week and that is good enough for them. But I am also constantly watching the amount of fat they have on their tails as I will hibernate them this winter.

Multiple hides: I think supplying multiple hides is very important in reptile husbandry and not a lot of people consider this. The natural instinct of many reptiles is hiding and failing to provide hiding spots can stress the animals. In a large terrarium, a single hide may not be enough as it may force the animal spend more time in a hot or cool area depending on where you place the hide. So to help with thermoregulation, I place one hide in the warm end and one in the cool end as long as the terrarium is large enough.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Can you give them chicken or quail eggs? Just curious.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Can you give them chicken or quail eggs? Just curious.
Yes, they are quite the egg thieves in the wild. However, drug resistant super bacteria in today's chicken eggs "may" cause health problems.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here are my puppies at 10 months of age:

I prepared this to see what experts think about their sexes and it is very likely that I have 1 male and 2 females. They are still living together peacefully but I am planning to separate the male after the hibernation.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Even monsters love to be *scratched sometimes...

[sub]*Do not try this at home.[/sub]

And a very interesting Gila Monster video:

[YOUTUBE]03A8tRhWWn4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I had to show my wife this thread and she got upset with me when I had to tell her venemous herps are illegal in BC.:eek:oh:

Gorgeous Animals. Thanks for sharing.:eek:oh:

Wifey thinks they are super cute.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I had to show my wife this thread and she got upset with me when I had to tell her venemous herps are illegal in BC.:eek:oh:

Gorgeous Animals. Thanks for sharing.:eek:oh:

Wifey thinks they are super cute.
Thanks mate. My wife thinks they are cute as well, only animals she actually finds "cute" in the reptile room. My cousin's wife visited once and she insisted on touching them so maybe it is a common trait among females :).

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Big *bad monster that sleeps under **your bed eating heart!

*As bad as a puppy
**Assuming you sleep somewhere in Midwest USA

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is another video showing how *gentle these animals can be:

[YOUTUBE]S3aFDlKUnx4[/YOUTUBE]

*Disclaimer: Gila Monsters are venomous animals and I discourage other people to try my handling techniques.

Mehish

Arachnopeon
I always hear about this story about my uncle finding one of these creatures while in the Military. Something along the lines of him finding it while on patrol, picking up the lizard and bringing it back to base where he made alittle harness and leash for it ( mind you... he isn't the smartest man). While laying in bed with this creature, I guess his commanding officer had to explain to him that he "wasnt allowed to take home his "pet" and to get it the H*** out of here!". To this day... he will still fight with you saying that it loved him and it wasn't fair. lol

Mindibun

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My boyfriend and I have a gila named Hurley. We've wanted a female for him for years but not found one of suitable age (or price :/) Thought I'd post a picture of the little monster. We also have a beaded lizard but he actually IS a monster, the jerk. Hurley is a sweetheart.

Perentie

Arachnosquire
This will be one of my first venomous animals once I'm older and have moved out. Later my favorite, the Rio Fuerte beaded

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
Very cool. Ive always wanted one. They very easy to keep?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I wish they werent so hard to get and so expensive lol.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2