Gila Monsters!!!

PrettyHate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
These are wonderful :)

Do you only feed them frozen/thawed mice? Or will they take other protein sources as well (beef liver/heart etc)?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Awesome pics! Love Gila Monsters :)

buddah4207

Arachnoknight
Wow those are some great looking lizards. Im putting them on my wishlist but the price is making it look like it will be awhile before this comes true.

stewstew8282

Arachnoknight
Very beautiful animals!

One thing I have never understood, is to why keepers worry about substrate being ingested by the animal. Wouldn't it get ingested in the wild in the course of the animal feeding? Just something I've seen mentioned before, and always scratched my head at. :o_O:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the comments guys.

These are wonderful :)

Do you only feed them frozen/thawed mice? Or will they take other protein sources as well (beef liver/heart etc)?
I feed them mice as mice are the whole package with muscle and bone. I will also feed them chicks when they are large enough to take them.

Very beautiful animals!

One thing I have never understood, is to why keepers worry about substrate being ingested by the animal. Wouldn't it get ingested in the wild in the course of the animal feeding? Just something I've seen mentioned before, and always scratched my head at. :o_O:
We are imitating nature in our enclosures. The best enclosure being still an imitation, we can not 100% know what they ingest here is what they ingest in their environment. Aside from that, if a Gila Monster dies in the nature due to impaction of some kind, it is a sad day. If one of mine dies, it is an economically and emotionally sad day as well so I am always extra careful.

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Hey Guys,

Here is one of my puppies lapping up some egg yolk:

[YOUTUBE]ZEmo06GAGRY[/YOUTUBE]

Gilas love to eat eggs in the wild and mine are no different.

Stirmi

Arachnosquire
Cool! i saw them when i was in hamburg Pa, i was wondering i never get a straight up answer is the venom dangerous enough to send you to the hospital or worse

EightLeggedFreaks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm an invert guy, so I have a question!

When you say venomous. What kind of potency do they have? How does it effect the average person if bit?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
How does one obtain a Gila monster?...btw its awesome =)
You can only purchase Gila Monsters from breeders. These animals are highly protected so collection from wild is illegal. You can check reptile classifieds for animals available, they are still quite pricey though.

Cool! i saw them when i was in hamburg Pa, i was wondering i never get a straight up answer is the venom dangerous enough to send you to the hospital or worse
I'm an invert guy, so I have a question!

When you say venomous. What kind of potency do they have? How does it effect the average person if bit?
Gila Monster venom is serious business. It causes rapid fall of blood pressure, respiratory irregularities, heart related anomalies, hypothermia, edema, internal hemorrhage etc. Here is a nice site explaining all the venom components and giving several LD50 values: http://www.toxinology.com/fusebox.cfm?fuseaction=main.terrestrial_vertebrates.venom&id=TV0002

There have been no Gila Monster related fatalities after 1939 and prior fatalities are attributed to substandard medical care. But getting bitten by one of these guys is surely a medical emergency and should be treated that way. However, a Gila Monster bite can be considered less dangerous than a bite from a front fanged venomous snake because Gila Monsters produce less venom and they have an inefficient venom delivery system compared to a venomous snake. Snake fangs are like hypodermic needles and they can inject high quantities of venom very quickly. Gila Monsters, on the other hand, use brute chewing force to open wounds and rely on capillary action to deliver venom.

In addition to the above, Gila Monsters are docile creatures, which are highly unlikely to get in a position to bite a human being. Most bites occur in captive situations or where someone picks the lizard up in the wild for one reason or another. Here is a great quote from a doctor explaining this:

Dr.Ward said:
I have never been called to attend a case of Gila monster bite, and I don't want to be. I think a man who is fool enough to get bitten by a Gila monster ought to die. The creature is so sluggish and slow of movement that the victim of its bite is compelled to help largely in order to get bitten.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
How does one obtain a Gila monster?...btw its awesome =)
Check your state's venomous and wildlife regulations to see if any permits are required. I know in Florida, they require a venomous license, which requires around 1000 hours of training.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I don't have video or anything but I witnessed a very cool moment with these guys yesterday.

I was a bit under the weather so I left work early and went home at around 2.00pm or so, which happens to be the time these guys wake up. So I went to their cage to see what they were up to and saw that one of them was leaving their makeshift barrow, which they share even though they have a larger one completely empty. So this little monster wakes up, leaves the barrow, moves a couple steps in drunken sleepy motion, stops and yawns like a little kid :). It is so funny to see that big mouth open like that and see the nice purple color. Anyway, he starts moving again very slowly, makes it all the way to the other end of the cage (3-4 feet or so) and goes to the water bowl to get his morning drink. He puts his face in to the water and laps the water up like a dog with this tongue, then he tilts his head up like a bird and gulps the water. He does this several times then finally notices me watching, starts shuffling towards the cage door and stops right in front of it. So I open the door, cautiously reach in and start scratching the top of his head. Again he tilts his head up quite similar to my parrot and enjoys the affection for a full minute or so. Then he retreats slowly and starts his daily activities, which is about 6 hours of digging and making a mess :).

Man, I love these guys...

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gila Monsters, on the other hand, use brute chewing force to open wounds and rely on capillary action to deliver venom.
And because of this delivery method, they tend to hang on for quite a while. I've heard the bites are very painful.

Gorgeous lizards Naja!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Beautiful animals! Love the pics. Keep sharing. Some of us have to live vicariously through the collections of others. :)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
And because of this delivery method, they tend to hang on for quite a while. I've heard the bites are very painful.

Gorgeous lizards Naja!
I always keep that in mind mate. I had an adult male bit down on a female once and I know how incredibly hard it is to make them release by physical force. Yet a little vinegar/water mixture sprayed into their mouth does the trick!

aznative86

Arachnosquire
Those are awesome!, I have lived in Arizona my entire 26 years and have seen a lot of these roaming the trails and what not threw out our desert.