Giant White Knee won't come out of burrow

TheZigzagoon

Arachnopeon
I got a juvenile giant white knee about 3 weeks ago, within the 2nd week she molted so she hasn't eaten since I got her. I'm worried as she hasn't come out of her burrow since molting just over a week ago, when I open the enclosure to try she just scoots further in to the burrow. What should I do?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I got a juvenile giant white knee about 3 weeks ago, within the 2nd week she molted so she hasn't eaten since I got her. I'm worried as she hasn't come out of her burrow since molting just over a week ago, when I open the enclosure to try she just scoots further in to the burrow. What should I do?
How large is the tarantula (leg span)? For larger individuals, it can take weeks to completely harden after a molt. During this period, they feel vulnerable and may keep themselves sealed in their burrows.

In short, there is likely nothing to worry about; she will eventually come out on her own. Just keep the water dish full in case it comes out to drink. (Molting is thirsty work!)

TheZigzagoon

Arachnopeon
How large is the tarantula (leg span)? For larger individuals, it can take weeks to completely harden after a molt. During this period, they feel vulnerable and may keep themselves sealed in their burrows.

In short, there is likely nothing to worry about; she will eventually come out on her own. Just keep the water dish full in case it comes out to drink. (Molting is thirsty work!)
She was around 7cm when I got her but I don't know how big she is now. I just hope she'll eat soon Dx

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have had a number of juveniles/sub-adults stay barricaded for up to three weeks after moulting. There is nothing to worry about, please do not disturb her. Just make sure that she has fresh water at all times and she will be out when she is good and ready.
This is one of the LAST species who would go longer than necessary without eating. They are not prone to fasting and she will be out when she is hungry. At that size, you should wait about ten days to offer food after moulting. It sounds as if it is too soon to feed her anyway.
She will come out when she is ready to eat.

RemyZee

Arachnosquire
Just doing what tarantulas do :) Best to leave her be until she comes out on her own. Congratulations on getting him/her! They're a fantastic species!

Marc saxby

Arachnopeon
Mine does the same thing lol but it defo comes out as every morning. when i get up storm my white knee has filled its water bowl up and there is dirt and moss moved about. i think its shy its only little 20170914_135808.jpg

NeptuneBlitZ

Arachnopeon
Slings love to burrow. My A. Geniculta sling has always been shy. Makes a deep burrow. I put a pre killed prey item at the mouth of th burrow and leave it be. I check about an hour later and its taken it to its burrow and eating. Dont always count on slings to be aggressive and take down prey in front of you. Sometimes they are in scavenge mode.

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
It's just doing its thing. Once you see it out and roaming, or front legs poking out of burrow it's hungry.