Giant Spanish Isopods have Offspring!

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i recently discovered mancae (babies!) in my Porcellio hoffmanseggi enclosure!
Here is the video:

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I watched this on YouTube yesterday and I was cheering for the mancae! Go, MANCAE! GO! Congrats!

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Pretty cool! I'm just getting started with local species I'm bringing in from my yard, and videos like this inspire me :)

The wolf

Arachnolord
You and littleOddisopod are the reason I have now got one assorted woodlouse tank and two isolated red strains of different species

mickiem

Arachnoprince
You and littleOddisopod are the reason I have now got one assorted woodlouse tank and two isolated red strains of different species
Yep! We are all bad influences for each other! (or is it GOOD)? Obsession is in the eye of the beholder. I always tell my husband, it keeps me out of the shoe stores.

VolkswagenBug

Arachnobaron
i recently discovered mancae (babies!) in my Porcellio hoffmanseggi enclosure!
Here is the video:
Are you going to have these for sale at any point? Or do you know of a place where I could buy them? We both live in Utah, so I imagine I could get my hands on them if you could.

rantology

Arachnopeon
Amazing! Thank you for posting this, seeing a proper setup for giant spanish isopods is super informative. I dream about setting up a colony of P.Bolivari from captiveisopoda someday and hope they will breed like yours! How often do you mist their enclosure and what's the RH in there? They are beautiful

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Glad to hear it! Which species have you isolated red strains of?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yep! We are all bad influences for each other! (or is it GOOD)? Obsession is in the eye of the beholder. I always tell my husband, it keeps me out of the shoe stores.
Must be good...isopods are cheaper than shoes, right?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are you going to have these for sale at any point? Or do you know of a place where I could buy them? We both live in Utah, so I imagine I could get my hands on them if you could.
I will be selling some in the future, but I got mine from captiveisopoda.com, which is based here in the US.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Amazing! Thank you for posting this, seeing a proper setup for giant spanish isopods is super informative. I dream about setting up a colony of P.Bolivari from captiveisopoda someday and hope they will breed like yours! How often do you mist their enclosure and what's the RH in there? They are beautiful
You’re welcome! I mist the enclosure several times a week, probably 3-5 times, and I am not sure of the relative humidity to be honest, I just make sure that the enclosure always has a moist area and a dry area.