Giant rainforest mantis last MOLT issues {Emergency}

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Hi guys I hope everyone’s well.

My better half’s Giant forest mantis has had her final MOLT today and came out twisted and seems to be stuck on her back (pics attached) I’m not sure whether we should try to turn her onto her front or if this is truly the end. Any advice is welcomed we have sprayed the viv and turned the light off.

Attachments

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Unfortunately that looks very bad, it seems she fell in trying to dry. Given the dire circumstance you could attempt to get her to hang and dry properly, but chances are even if she makes it she’ll be terribly crippled. If this wasn’t her final molt you could hand feed her and hope she corrects the issues next molt(I’ve had some wild success with crippled nymphs) but given she won’t molt again she’ll be stuck how she drys.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
We are willing to hand feed would it be worth turning her into her front?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
We are willing to hand feed would it be worth turning her into her front?
If you choose to interfere I would try and get her to hang up and dry correctly, possibly from a wall lined with some mesh or paper towel? Whatever gets her off of the ground will be beneficial to her sclerotizing correctly.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
She looks like she’s got some legs kn the branch above her now I’m
Not sure I want to move her and compromise her position if she dries this way then we are able to hand feed for the rest of her life or would it be better if we euthanise her? Do they have the ability to feel pain ? Thank you for your help.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
She looks like she’s got some legs kn the branch above her now I’m
Not sure I want to move her and compromise her position if she dries this way then we are able to hand feed for the rest of her life or would it be better if we euthanise her? Do they have the ability to feel pain ? Thank you for your help.
More pictures from other angles would be tremendously helpful. They do not feel pain in a traditional sense no, "stress" is about the extent of their ability to respond to stimuli in that way. They know if something is harmful to their survival and attempt to avoid it instinctively, but not necessarily as "painful" in the way that we as mammals do. It's really up to you whether or not you'd like to take care of her or euthanize her.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Well that’s fantastic news regarding pain, I can’t get pics right now but I will as soon as i can! She’s 80% off the ground now so I fear moving her could cause further injury. We can set her up a disabled friendly viv tomorrow, we can keep her as an invalid as long as she’s not suffering this is all permitting she survives these next few days *fingers crossed*

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Well that’s fantastic news regarding pain, I can’t get pics right now but I will as soon as i can! She’s 80% off the ground now so I fear moving her could cause further injury. We can set her up a disabled friendly viv tomorrow, we can keep her as an invalid as long as she’s not suffering this is all permitting she survives these next few days *fingers crossed*
If she's managed to pull herself up after falling that is an excellent sign! If she's holding herself up I'd give her a few days to harden up before messing with her, aside from maybe some misting. Best of luck!

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Thank you, I’ll update as soon as anything happens if you wish to your welcome to check back! Also if worst comes to worst what would be the most humane method of euthanisa?

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Thank you, I’ll update as soon as anything happens if you wish to your welcome to check back! Also if worst comes to worst what would be the most humane method of euthanisa?
Personally when I have to euthanize I freeze, but there is a bit of debate on that.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I really hope your lass manages to correct herself.

The fastest/quickest most humane death is to gently wrapped her in a piece of kitchen roll (so she can't see what's going on) and stand on her. It does sound harsh and extremely unpleasant but it's absolutely INSTANT and the best for your MANTIS.

BelleBeverley

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I'm the fore-mentioned better half. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. We've moved her into a huge, mostly barren space with a couple of climbing points and she's doing alot better. She's still very bent but she's moving. We're keeping our fingers crossed that she'll eat when she dries out a bit and recovers from the move. We'll keep you updated.

Attachments

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
She’s moving around her new enclosure and cleaning herself which is important when we removed her from her old viv she was again 80% off the ground and very lively so we are hoping she pulls through she’s moving around the viv quite well for a cripple.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I would not have moved her so soon after a molt if she was holding herself up, but good to hear that she is still energetic at least.

BelleBeverley

Arachnopeon
I would not have moved her so soon after a molt if she was holding herself up, but good to hear that she is still energetic at least.
We didn't want to move her but couldn't bare to see her on her back struggling. We're just so relieved that she seems to be doing well.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
We moved her because she kept falling into a compromised position hence we believed she would be better with more space we think her new L shape compromised her effective movement in the smaller viv. GOD I seem to really like the word compromised tonight.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
I really hope your lass manages to correct herself.

The fastest/quickest most humane death is to gently wrapped her in a piece of kitchen roll (so she can't see what's going on) and stand on her. It does sound harsh and extremely unpleasant but it's absolutely INSTANT and the best for your MANTIS.
thank you and we have taken that into consideration and believe this will be the way if any.

Connerl8k

Arachnosquire
Update: she’s made leaps
And bounds since Thursday nights fall from grace, she is not climbing much I don’t think she can without falling but she’s using the ground quite well and getting around her tank nicely. Full of energy despite her funny shape and happily cleaning herself still. Despite the crumpled look to her she seems to be functioning the same just with slightly more difficulty getting about than her previous form.

Tomorrow we try hand feeding wish us luck!

Attachments