Giant desert hairy scorpion

Twitch1495

Arachnopeon
Hi I'm new to scorpions and new to forum websites . Just got a giant desert hairy scorpion and set up her tank according to what I have found on Google .But after reading some threads on here I'm not sure I've done it right.
What I found on Google was to have a substrate 4-5 inches deep consisting of sand and dried eco earth mixed, temps at 70-80 f and maybe a small water dish once in a while, feed once a week .
Now I've found out they are obligatory burrowers and need a sand+ clay/something that doesn't collapse mix, the temps shouldn't matter too much, and water bowl is a no.
Is there anything I'm missing?
I haven't found any reliable info on how often to feed her, how much to feed her, or how to tell how old she is .
I also haven't found info on how to ensure a good moult if she is young enough to do so .
Any info/tips and tricks would be appreciated . I tried to do as much research as possible beforehand but she was give to me as a gift yesterday so I'm scrambling to make sure everything is right as quickly as possible.
IMG_20180722_202034.jpg IMG_20180721_160246.jpg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hi I'm new to scorpions and new to forum websites . Just got a giant desert hairy scorpion and set up her tank according to what I have found on Google .But after reading some threads on here I'm not sure I've done it right.
What I found on Google was to have a substrate 4-5 inches deep consisting of sand and dried eco earth mixed, temps at 70-80 f and maybe a small water dish once in a while, feed once a week .
Now I've found out they are obligatory burrowers and need a sand+ clay/something that doesn't collapse mix, the temps shouldn't matter too much, and water bowl is a no.
Is there anything I'm missing?
I haven't found any reliable info on how often to feed her, how much to feed her, or how to tell how old she is .
I also haven't found info on how to ensure a good moult if she is young enough to do so .
Any info/tips and tricks would be appreciated . I tried to do as much research as possible beforehand but she was give to me as a gift yesterday so I'm scrambling to make sure everything is right as quickly as possible.
View attachment 281769 View attachment 281770
70/30 sand / excavator clay mixture is what you want for substrate. Give it several inches so it can burrow. And give it a water dish.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
yup that mixture of slightly more clay and yeah room temp is fine.
water dishes are a yes however.

Twitch1495

Arachnopeon
Okay I saw another post about a guy using paver base and sand mix so I think I'll roll with that.
Do you guys have any info on feeding amd how to find out how old she is?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Okay I saw another post about a guy using paver base and sand mix so I think I'll roll with that.
Do you guys have any info on feeding amd how to find out how old she is?
What post ?

And no you won't be able to tell the exact age

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
nah you can't tell the age which is kind of unfortunate if you purchase an adult because they could be close to death.
I'd feed an adult 1 large cricket a week

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Feed it one prey item every week or every other week. They really don't need to eat that much. Too much food will make them obese.