Giant Desert Centipedes - Documentary Filming

PlimsollProductions

Arachnopeon
Hi guys, I'm a researcher for an upcoming documentary set in the Sonoran Desert, Arizona. One of the animals we would love to film is the giant desert centipede (Scolopendra heros). Unfortunately I can't find a great deal of information about these awesome creatures so I wondered if any of you guys might be able to help?

Obviously these centipedes are cool in and of themselves but in order to have them in the episode we need a to have a cool story line (set in the desert). Therefore I'm looking for any interesting facts about theses creatures - desert adaptations, behaviors etc. In particular my producer would also like to know about their mating habits and whether they are seasonal. If anyone has worked with, or had any captive specimens it would be great to hear from you.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys,

Thanks!
Rosh

LeFanDesBugs

Arachnobaron
Hey. Can’t help much as I’m at uni while I’m writing this. Please add me on messenger : Leo Laborieux
I’d be glad to help you, I have done some breeding with similar species before and know about their life cycles..
I’m not coming here often. However if you wish to stay here on AB I’m sure many other people can chime in!

PlimsollProductions

Arachnopeon
Hey. Can’t help much as I’m at uni while I’m writing this. Please add me on messenger : Leo Laborieux
I’d be glad to help you, I have done some breeding with similar species before and know about their life cycles..
I’m not coming here often. However if you wish to stay here on AB I’m sure many other people can chime in!
Thanks Leo, I'll do that!

NYAN

Arachnoking
Therefore I'm looking for any interesting facts about theses creatures - desert adaptations, behaviors etc. In particular my producer would also like to know about their mating habits and whether they are seasonal. If

Adaptations: first off they are adapted to live in dry enviornents. Many other Scolopendra sp. live in areas with more rainfall. In order to survive they spend a lot of time deep underground in micro habitats where it is cool and likely more moist.

The regular Sonoran variant has a false head also. If a predator goes to attack it, the centipede can flip around and bite it.
54ADA090-E592-4F89-904D-35D5E068B6B1.jpeg

Facts:

This species is pretty far ranging. It lives in Mexico, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, and Louisiana. The different ranges have different variants. For example, the one in Texas and surrounding states looks like this:

A76D1C75-1A9B-4EE4-A857-183549C8CFFD.jpeg

More facts:

They are fairly omnivorous. Their diet includes anything they can take down that’s living. They also will scavenge on roadkill and occasionally human food like chicken wings (seriously). They also eat fruit sometimes, such as prickly pears.

More facts:

They can regenerate lost or damaged body parts when they molt.

Seasonality:

The adults live for years, however the babies tend to emerge right around when monsoons start.

Mating and such:

The males court with the females by wiggling their terminal legs at them. The female will respond by sort of tapping the male with her antennae and following him around. The male leads the female to an appropriate area where he makes a sperm web with his spinning organ. The female picks this up to fertilize her eggs. She can retain sperm for multiple clutches also.

When the female lays eggs it’ll be underground. She will wrap herself around them and groom them daily until they hatch. The babies don’t eat her like other species. They just disperse once ready.

Attachments

PlimsollProductions

Arachnopeon
Adaptations: first off they are adapted to live in dry enviornents. Many other Scolopendra sp. live in areas with more rainfall. In order to survive they spend a lot of time deep underground in micro habitats where it is cool and likely more moist.

The regular Sonoran variant has a false head also. If a predator goes to attack it, the centipede can flip around and bite it.
View attachment 323575

Facts:

This species is pretty far ranging. It lives in Mexico, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, and Louisiana. The different ranges have different variants. For example, the one in Texas and surrounding states looks like this:

View attachment 323577

More facts:

They are fairly omnivorous. Their diet includes anything they can take down that’s living. They also will scavenge on roadkill and occasionally human food like chicken wings (seriously). They also eat fruit sometimes, such as prickly pears.

More facts:

They can regenerate lost or damaged body parts when they molt.

Seasonality:

The adults live for years, however the babies tend to emerge right around when monsoons start.

Mating and such:

The males court with the females by wiggling their terminal legs at them. The female will respond by sort of tapping the male with her antennae and following him around. The male leads the female to an appropriate area where he makes a sperm web with his spinning organ. The female picks this up to fertilize her eggs. She can retain sperm for multiple clutches also.

When the female lays eggs it’ll be underground. She will wrap herself around them and groom them daily until they hatch. The babies don’t eat her like other species. They just disperse once ready.
Great, this is perfect, thanks!