Giant african millipede with white exudate?

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
Please help. I have had this millipede for a little over a year. Today I noticed white exudate on the underside of his neck! Also he is moving slow and not gripping with his legs as well. I had him house with 2 bumblebee millipedes and just quarantined him because of the above Any idea what that stuff is? I assume he is dying.... 20180825_135659.jpg

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
Thanks. My little guy is still alive but not very active. I will try to contact the person you recommended.

Cazador

Arachnosquire
Could those be gonopods? I'm just guessing, I don't know what they look like on that species, it just reminds me of them on some smaller pedes I've had. I don't know why they would be out like that though, so maybe not. Hope he's okay!

EXHunter

Arachnopeon
I agree that those may be gonopods, but unusual for them to be out. Happens, but rarely. Im no expert on millipedes, just my opinion.

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
It's been a week and my guy is still alive but not active at all. I have not handled him in the past week...just letting him rest. I didn't know about the gonopods but so far that's the only answer I've gotten. I will keep everyone posted.

EXHunter

Arachnopeon
It's been a week and my guy is still alive but not active at all. I have not handled him in the past week...just letting him rest. I didn't know about the gonopods but so far that's the only answer I've gotten. I will keep everyone posted.
Are the white things still out? Or does ur pede look normal now?

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
I have not handled him in a week as I didn't want to stress him at all. I have seen him move after misting his enclosure.

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
UPDATE

So my little guy is still alive and molted... If course I have not handled him. He has not eaten and is still in 1 spot...a molting chamber I put him in at the start of this post. I have never seen him molt and have no idea how old he is but he's rather long (about 10 inches long). I noticed him cleaning himself yesterday and more active than the prior week with that activity. I will keep everyone interested updated.
Thanks to everyone who reached out

Psychdoc

Arachnopeon
UPDATE #2

My guy is completely back to normal...today was the first day that he has been active in a month. I picked him up and the weird white stuff is all gone. I've had him over a year and never caught him pre-molt but I guess that;s all that was going on...crazy millipedes! Gotta love em!

Attachments

SFA

Arachnoknight
UPDATE #2

My guy is completely back to normal...today was the first day that he has been active in a month. I picked him up and the weird white stuff is all gone. I've had him over a year and never caught him pre-molt but I guess that;s all that was going on...crazy millipedes! Gotta love em!
Yay!!! So glad to hear!!

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Yes, those are his gonopods. You will very occasionally see them, but if they hang out constantly in could mean there's a problem (but on the other hand I've heard of some millipedes having them out for weeks and being OK)

The sluggishness seems to be explained away by the fact he was pre-moult, so all should be good now.