Giant African land snail legal questions

Schledog

Arachnosquire
So for people who know the laws about land snails, is it illegal to import them or illegal to keep them? Because right now I’m in Kaui and there are a bunch of giant African land snails 0E06A8D3-6006-4A6C-A893-A009450C4DDF.png
So I was wondering if I could ship some back to Minnesota where I live to keep them or is that totally illegal (also I know the picture is awful but my friend took it and I didn’t see it till later after I let the snail go)

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
This is completely illegal. Lissachatina fulica is considered by the USDA to pose one of the highest risks to agriculture out of all introduced species. They eat over 500 types of plants, and simply touching the snails can transmit nematodes that cause meningitis. They invaded Florida a few decades ago, and it cost a million dollars to eradicate them. The USDA is not even granting PPQ 526 permits to containment facilities that work with other exotic arthropods.

If you find them within your state, and you do not transport them between states or out of a quarantined area (transport between islands may also be prohibited in Hawaii), then you should be able to keep them, at least until the USDA eradicates them from your area.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
God willing. I'm not betting on successful eradication from Hawaii.
You are probably right. I read they have been there since 1935. I just mentioned that because I think if the USDA eradicated them, then they would be illegal again to prevent reintroduction.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
This is completely illegal. Lissachatina fulica is considered by the USDA to pose one of the highest risks to agriculture out of all introduced species. They eat over 500 types of plants, and simply touching the snails can transmit nematodes that cause meningitis. They invaded Florida a few decades ago, and it cost a million dollars to eradicate them. The USDA is not even granting PPQ 526 permits to containment facilities that work with other exotic arthropods.

If you find them within your state, and you do not transport them between states or out of a quarantined area (transport between islands may also be prohibited in Hawaii), then you should be able to keep them, at least until the USDA eradicates them from your area.
You are probably right. I read they have been there since 1935. I just mentioned that because I think if the USDA eradicated them, then they would be illegal again to prevent reintroduction.
They are still here. The eradication plan did not work. Some houses that people have cleansed had 400 snails in them.

Schledog

Arachnosquire
Ok I will definitely not bring any back then, thank you for letting me know. The only reason I asked was because I wanted to know if it was illegal to keep or illegal to import. They are cool but I HATE invasives so I should probably smash all the ones I see. Did they get here by pet trade or in potted plants?

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Ok I will definitely not bring any back then, thank you for letting me know. The only reason I asked was because I wanted to know if it was illegal to keep or illegal to import. They are cool but I HATE invasives so I should probably smash all the ones I see. Did they get here by pet trade or in potted plants?
Pets / food / ornaments rather than accidents. I don't recommend trying to smash them or otherwise touching them. Other than the fact that smashing a couple of snails will do nothing to help the problem, wild snails carry parasites. Leave it to people with the proper equipment.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
You are from Minnesota. They are from Africa. I think you are good.

Schledog

Arachnosquire
Alright I won’t even touch them. I already know smashing them won’t do anything because in my woodland I try my best to keep invasives at bay but new ones always replace the old ones. I got rid of buckthorn, I got garlic mustard. I got rid of reed canary grass and I got purple loosestrife. Invasives just suck

Schledog

Arachnosquire
57416540-5FD0-4ADE-BB38-82906635E179.jpeg
More snails I saw while looking for cane toads (ironically another invasive) at night. This picture is only a tiny amount of all the snails I saw.

Cyber Locc

Arachnopeon
Sorry to bump such an old post, but this needs cleared up.

simply touching the snails can transmit nematodes that cause meningitis.
First off this applies to all snails, not just GALs.

Second off, this has nothing to do with the snail. It is as Mantis said the Nematode, Rat Lung Worm that is carried by rodents, and can use Snails, Frogs, Shrimp, Land Crabs and Slugs as an Intermediate Host.

Humans, cannot Transmit or be infected by Rat lung worm by touching a Snail, you have to actually ingest the snail, or whatever to contract the worm, and this leads to meningitis. You can touch all the snails you want, just dont eat or touch your mouth after, without washing your hands.

The worm also does not survive in the snail, or other intermediate hosts for very long. A month tops, so the odds of the snail having Rat Lung Worm is very rare, the snail isnt the issue the Rat that carries it is.

The Mantis Menagerie

Arachnobaron
Humans, cannot Transmit or be infected by Rat lung worm by touching a Snail, you have to actually ingest the snail, or whatever to contract the worm, and this leads to meningitis. You can touch all the snails you want, just dont eat or touch your mouth after, without washing your hands.
That is good to know. I think I read the touching part on a USDA document, so that means they may be disseminating inaccurate information.

Cyber Locc

Arachnopeon
That is good to know. I think I read the touching part on a USDA document, so that means they may be disseminating inaccurate information.
I think they are likely just trying to be cautious. The worm is a serious issue, in France and other European countries due to the ingesting of the snails. If its not cooked thoroughly and was infected by the worm, then the human (or animal) ingesting it will be infected.

The same applies to crabs, and such that even us in the US consume. If not cooked thoroughly, it can be a real issue. Especially in states/citys, where those types of foods are common, like Louisiana.

I think the reason for the USDA ban on interstate without a Permit, has more to do with the SERIOUS agriculture risk the snails can cause. Its bad. I keep pet/feeder snails, that were caught locally, 10 adult H. Aspersa, can eat an entire Apple in a couple of hours. They are about and inch in diameter, I couldn't imagine how much these gals the size of footballs could devour. They consume an unimaginable amount of food, as they literally defecate while eating more.

1 snail can also, impregnate itself, and has 100 of eggs per clutch, the risk is real. It does suck, I would love to have a Pet GAL, but the risk to the country is too great, so this ban I understand completely.

Last edited:

BepopCola

Arachnobaron
I always remember that story of the poor kid who ate a snail on a dare and became completely paralyzed.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Just because something is invasive does not mean it is "bad". Certianly for the area it is but is can be critically endangered in its natural habitat. See Mangrove in Florida Vs. Hawaii.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Pets / food / ornaments rather than accidents. I don't recommend trying to smash them or otherwise touching them. Other than the fact that smashing a couple of snails will do nothing to help the problem, wild snails carry parasites. Leave it to people with the proper equipment.
I've been on a few intern excursions with them. They usually collect them in a bag and toss em in a freezer.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Alright I won’t even touch them. I already know smashing them won’t do anything because in my woodland I try my best to keep invasives at bay but new ones always replace the old ones. I got rid of buckthorn, I got garlic mustard. I got rid of reed canary grass and I got purple loosestrife. Invasives just suck
Go ahead and smash them, they pose no risk to you unless you decide to lick your shoes hehe.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
Eradication here didn't work but in Florida they were successful (at the expense of tons of resources and millions of dollars). GALS can be easily euthanized by putting them in the freezer for a while (your boot works well too if you don't care about that kind of stuff). The rat lung worm disease is a concern, the only way to actually get it is by ingestion. The USDA just tacted on a whole bunch of stuff like "do not touch" because people aren't careful and don't practice proper hygiene. We've had a couple cases in Hawaii where people who weren't careful got it.

Nicholas Rothstein

Arachnoknight
View attachment 296588
More snails I saw while looking for cane toads (ironically another invasive) at night. This picture is only a tiny amount of all the snails I saw.
Try searching for native species of animals/plants. If you know what you're looking at it could be very rare, a once in a lifetime opportunity for most people. Our native snails are rare and the most beautiful I've seen, though they are pretty small. You'll need to go hiking or diving for most of that stuff though. Or you can look up local events that go looking for those species for research.