ggb being kept correct?

charles100997

Arachnopeon
Hi, I got my first tarantula today. It's a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling. I picked it because I read they were easy to care for and their colors. I am just wondering if they should be kept on lightly damp substrate or dry with a water dish. I did my research and I could not find a straight answer.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Hi, I got my first tarantula today. It's a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling. I picked it because I read they were easy to care for and their colors. I am just wondering if they should be kept on lightly damp substrate or dry with a water dish. I did my research and I could not find a straight answer.
Half and half like you have is perfect....add a little plant or two.

Kron

Arachnosquire
I had a 2 inch GBB a couple years ago and it died from fungi so I'll just say what not to do. They web up their enclosure which holds humidity and reduces airflow encouraging fungal growth, so ensure good ventilation and don't over do the watering as they are hardy. If I kept a gbb again I'd just go for water dish but slings are more prone to dehydration, I assume due to their high surface area to volume ratio, so 50/50 is probs justified. Be sure to remove all food remains soon as she's done with them!

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Slightly moist sub up until 1.5" (half & half like you're doing is fine, just re-moisten when it dries out) and then keep them dry with a water dish after that.

I usually put slings of heavy webbing species straight into in a well ventilated 12oz deli cup with some fake plants to anchor their webbing to. They grow fairly fast and will utilise the extra space.

charles100997

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice. I offered it a cricket earlier and it doesn't want it. Should I be worried?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thanks for the advice. I offered it a cricket earlier and it doesn't want it. Should I be worried?
Na, could still be settling in, either try again in a few days or crush the head of the cricket and leave it in there for 24hrs, slings will happily scavenge (remove it if uneaten after 24hrs).

basement pets

Arachnosquire
Very nice that was my first tarantula too! I got mine at 3/4 inches. I haven't had mine for super long but so far its a really cool tarantula

Kitara

Arachnodemon
My first too (she's in my avatar). My daughter had a b. albo and I wanted my own. I also wanted one that webs a lot. In the webbing department I got a dud, but I still love her. :)

charles100997

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, it has been a few days and it still does not want a cricket. Could it be in premolt? If so, how long does premolt last for this species?

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone, it has been a few days and it still does not want a cricket. Could it be in premolt? If so, how long does premolt last for this species?
GBBs are heavy webbers, so I'd personally give the enclosure a lot more anchor points and leaves for cover. If you fail to give the T a place where it feels secure, it will most likely refuse to eat. So add some plastic plants or dried twigs as cover and for the Ts webbing anchor points, and try again feeding in a couple of days.

Sincerely, Maman

charles100997

Arachnopeon
GBBs are heavy webbers, so I'd personally give the enclosure a lot more anchor points and leaves for cover. If you fail to give the T a place where it feels secure, it will most likely refuse to eat. So add some plastic plants or dried twigs as cover and for the Ts webbing anchor points, and try again feeding in a couple of days.

Sincerely, Maman
I put a fake plant and it has put some web on it but still refuses food.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
I put a fake plant and it has put some web on it but still refuses food.
Very nice! Your setup is pretty much all set once you give it those fake plants. Try to pre-kill the mealworm/cricket, or just try feeding again in a week or so