Getting Started with N. americanus

Jazz B

Arachnopeon
I purchased 2 N. americanus on Saturday for my 8th grade classroom. I have been reading posts here and resources online to make sure I do my best to create a healthy habitat for these fascinating detritivores. However, as I am in Southern California, I am concerned about getting my wood and leaf types right so I don't accidentally poison my millipedes.

All of the sources I can find on types of wood and leaves to include say "Oak" along with other hardwoods. I gathered some dead, fallen, Coastal Live Oak leaves which I will bake at a low temperature to kill any mites, mold spores, or harmful bacteria. However, before I put them into the terrarium with the millipedes I wanted to verify whether know, is that variety of oak ok? We looked up the species of oak found in Florida, one of the locations where the millipedes are from, and saw several Live Oaks listed but I don't know if our California version is going to be a problem since it comes from a different environment. Have you ever used Coastal Live Oak leaves and/or wood? I have access to what I believe is a Black Oak as well.

I would like to try making my own millipede substrate from the recipes I have seen listed here by other experienced hobbyists, but again, I am concerned with being able to locate the correct types since I live in SoCal. I have been thinking through where I know cherry trees are grown locally for leaf and twig harvesting. Are Sycamores ok? I have a neighbor with two huge trees who I am sure would donate downed branches to me if I asked.

I fed them some banana yesterday evening which they enjoyed! They have a piece of cucumber for tonight. I also got them a nice Portuguese cork bark hide.

Thank you for any hints and help you can offer! :)

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Since I am east of the Mississippi, I use eastern woods and leaves so I can't say with experience if it would be a problem. I feed sycamore leaf litter to all of my millipedes and have never seen a problem. The age of the leaves is important. Last seasons litter is eaten with gusto. The current season and freshly fallen leaves; not so much. Hope this helped a little! Millipedes are great classroom pets. Good luck.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
As long as they are hardwood leaves and well-decayed, they should work just fine. :)

Jazz B

Arachnopeon
As long as they are hardwood leaves and well-decayed, they should work just fine. :)
Thank you both! It is hard to find decaying leaves as I am in the city but I will put on my thinking cap and find some options. :)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Thank you both! It is hard to find decaying leaves as I am in the city but I will put on my thinking cap and find some options. :)
You might consider buying some from BugsInCyberspace for instance to make sure they are pesticide-free.

Jazz B

Arachnopeon
I wanted to let everyone know that my millipedes seem to be doing well and even had babies! Thank you all for your kind words and answers!