Getting into scorpions

US Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very to scorpions. I recently purchased 6 Emperor Scorpions. I have no problem with the feeding/housing or care of scorpions. Im fine with aggression but im mainly looking for scorpions with mild venom that is close to the Emperor, Scorpions more for beginners that is not medically significant.

Also if possible please list your species and please describe the venom if possible.

thanks guys

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I mostly know about domestics, so that is what I will share, others will talk about imports I am sure.

Pseudouroctonus reddelli is hard to find, but has extremely mild venon. It will sting though. I would assume other Pseudouroctonus species are mild as well. Diplocentrus species are very mild. Diplocentrus whitei is a big, large chela'd scorpion. Very cool, but somewhat expensive as they are very hard to get to, and no one is breeding them right now that I know of. The other U.S. Diplocentrus species are small to medium.

Hadrurus and Vaejovis species are a little hotter, but by no means dangerous. They are up in the wasp category maybe.

In the U.S., the painful species are the Centruroides species. But they are very cool scorpions. (See my post in Centruroides Vittatus info thread)

Good luck! Have fun! And welcome to Scorpions! :)

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Well, as you probably know, there are many good "novice" scorpions. Besides emperors, there are Heterometrus spp. (forest scorpions), Hadrurus spp., and Hadogenes that are very mildly venomous. More research will get you more information.;)

I currently have Rhopalurus junceus and Tityus bastosi. Both are "experienced" level scorpions. On a venom scale of 1-5, to give you a sense of the venom, R. junceus are 3 out of 5 and the T. bastosi are 4 out of 5. Do not consider either. Most Tityus species are known to be extremely dangerous. Not trying to make myself look better by keeping slightly more venomous, just trying to help. (You asked anyway).;):D

Good luck!;):D

Rampantsoto

Arachnopeon
Tityus bastosi are dangerous but probably one of the coolest looking scorpions out there :) just saying

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pretty much any species that doesn't belong to the Buthidae family and isn't Hemiscorpius lepturus should work as a "beginner" species for all intensive purposes. As far as the Tityus bastosi go: Although they belong to the Tityus genus, which contain some very venomous species like stigmurus and serrulatus, their placid behavior eliminates a lot of the threat associated with their possible venom composition.