Getting back into the hobby looking for suggestion

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey everyone, been a while! A few years ago I sold off my very small collection of Ts to focus on reptiles, which has been great. Im down to one turtle now, and I want to get back into Ts. By that I mean one. I'm just looking for opinions on what you recommend that would be something different. I don't really feel pokies are my thing. The only old world I ever had was an OBT and as much as I liked it, I want something Different. I've had the typical G rosea, a few Avics, the OBT, and an LP that I absolutely loved keeping. Of all of those I really really miss the LP the most. I want to stay away from Therephosas, and Pokies. I don't really want anything super fast which seems to rule out most of the old world species. Just looking for one that will scratch my T itch. (hopefully I will actually stay at one this time). Perhaps something colorful, rather hardy, and not a pet hole. For some reason I feel like I want to avoid arboreals but I'm open to suggestions. For some reason I keep thinking LP but I want to keep my options open.

Anyone got a species recommendation?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm going to throw out C.cyaneopubescens as it matches a lot of what you asked for. It's colorful, hardy, and most of the time mine is out where it can be seen. It is a heavy webber so when in premolt it doesn't come out of its web hide as much. It is a little quick but not overly so IMO. Not that I'm trying to sway you but I'll leave this right here.

Paulhodgkinson

Arachnopeon
I'm going to throw out C.cyaneopubescens as it matches a lot of what you asked for. It's colorful, hardy, and most of the time mine is out where it can be seen. It is a heavy webber so when in premolt it doesn't come out of its web hide as much. It is a little quick but not overly so IMO. Not that I'm trying to sway you but I'll leave this right here.
Did you get in the enclosure to take that pic? Lol

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
GBB was also what came instantly to mind. Often out in the open when not molting, excellent feeding response (mine will hunt across his enclosure when I drop prey anywhere in), very easy to care for and colorful to boot!

Not sure if it would be too speedy for you, but P. cambridgei may be of interest to you as well, although may not be always as visible as the GBB. Excellent webbing and feeding behaviors in this species as well, and not as reclusive as P. irminia.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Aphonopelma seemani might be a good one. Not to fast not really a pet rock either. Just an all around good hardy T.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Acanthoscurria geniculata or Grammostola pulchripes. Both great eaters, hardy, and not a pet hole.

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Agree with the a. Genticulata suggestion , they've got growth rate , size, display tendencies and ferocious feeding just like a LP but also beautiful coloration even from a young age.

cold blood

Staff member
If I could only have one, and it was to be terrestrial...I'd get a Pamphobetus sp.

But genic and GBB are both obvious choices...G. pulchra and pulchripes as well as N. chromatus would also be good choices....but take a good look at G. iheringi...really cool t with a monster appetite, good looks and good size.

pnshmntMMA

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I appreciate all the help so far! I never thought I would forget all these species. I miss this hobby, and I am not happy that I am already making a list....again. I forgot how enabling you guys are! I guess I asked for it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would get either a GBB or G. iheringi. Iheringi is NOT your typical Grammo. trust me! Google it up. It's the largest of the genus at 8" DLS. Very fast T, more than GBB, and a STRONG feeding response, more so than GBB. Mine out eats my GBB hands down.

If you want a dwarf T w/the same traits as iheringi but with an EVEN stronger feeding response, get Hapalopus sp. Columbia, Large. The "small" version is equally as good, just smaller in size only.

Has Adult colors as a tiny 1/4" sling too. iheringi has adult colors as well.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone, been a while! A few years ago I sold off my very small collection of Ts to focus on reptiles, which has been great. Im down to one turtle now, and I want to get back into Ts. By that I mean one. I'm just looking for opinions on what you recommend that would be something different. I don't really feel pokies are my thing. The only old world I ever had was an OBT and as much as I liked it, I want something Different. I've had the typical G rosea, a few Avics, the OBT, and an LP that I absolutely loved keeping. Of all of those I really really miss the LP the most. I want to stay away from Therephosas, and Pokies. I don't really want anything super fast which seems to rule out most of the old world species. Just looking for one that will scratch my T itch. (hopefully I will actually stay at one this time). Perhaps something colorful, rather hardy, and not a pet hole. For some reason I feel like I want to avoid arboreals but I'm open to suggestions. For some reason I keep thinking LP but I want to keep my options open.

Anyone got a species recommendation?
Adult female GBB since the concensus seems to be that a GBB would fit your description

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I would get either a GBB or G. iheringi. Iheringi is NOT your typical Grammo. trust me! Google it up. It's the largest of the genus at 8" DLS. Very fast T, more than GBB, and a STRONG feeding response, more so than GBB. Mine out eats my GBB hands down.

If you want a dwarf T w/the same traits as iheringi but with an EVEN stronger feeding response, get Hapalopus sp. Columbia, Large. The "small" version is equally as good, just smaller in size only.

Has Adult colors as a tiny 1/4" sling too. iheringi has adult colors as well.

I like your passion for the "Dwarf" army T's. You made me laugh days ago with your "Excellent selection of Dwarfs" post because reminded me the wine chart of some restaurants ah ah.

I've never, never wanted one so far (only reason was their little size) but i'm changing my mind and i'm seriously thinking about getting one :)

Last edited: