Getting an Obt and Gbb!!!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, and don't get me wrong, I really want this T, I just REALLY don't wont to get bit.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
I don't have it yet but I would be fine rehousing it (maybe). Just stick a bowl over it and slide a lid under it. But I would have that constant thought of "What it darts up the tongs!"
I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks for the reply's.
How familiar are you with the way certain tarantulas hide? The way my obt is hidden (thick webbing around a half log hide) it would be much more difficult than just sticking a bowl over it. The darting up the tongs thing is not likely. Just tap the cage when you walk in and it will almost certainly hide, if it's not already.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know to disturb it so it goes to its web when opening the lid. (Thanks for that advice) For a 1/2 sling, do I give a few days for it to make a web to hide in and give a pre-killed cricket/mealworm? Also, if its molting and has the front of its burrow/hide webbed over, cant the cricket still get in and kill it?

EDIT: I only have got one Rose hair who Is all ways out in the open. I was just spouting out ideas without thinking. What is a good method of rehousing? I know you can take it to a bath tub and transfer him in there. And I thought it was pretty common for them to dart up the tongs. Thanks though. And also Pschocircus91, Is that a Obt in your avatar pic? Again, sorry for all the post and I know better safe than sorry but I just don't like doing all these posts.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
I know to disturb it so it goes to its web when opening the lid. (Thanks for that advice) For a 1/2 sling, do I give a few days for it to make a web to hide in and give a pre-killed cricket/mealworm? Also, if its molting and has the front of its burrow/hide webbed over, cant the cricket still get in and kill it?

EDIT: I only have got one Rose hair who Is all ways out in the open. I was just spouting out ideas without thinking. What is a good method of rehousing? I know you can take it to a bath tub and transfer him in there. And I thought it was pretty common for them to dart up the tongs. Thanks though. And also Pschocircus91, Is that a Obt in your avatar pic? Again, sorry for all the post and I know better safe than sorry but I just don't like doing all these posts.
You will have to tear apart its burrow or webbing or whatever it may be. You will be at an advantage with a sling because they are easier to transfer and you will gain experience as it grows. Most people who get bitten are the ones who become too comfortable in deAling with their spiders. Yes my avatar is an obt.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Okay, I will get it, just have to be extremely careful.
Like I said earlier, they're awesome, I'm sure you'll love it.

I got mine as a 1/2" sling, and she(? I think)'s about 2.5" now. As a small sling, she was quite docile; that changed at about 1" when she definitely picked up the attitude. Still, a 1" OBT's not hard to deal with, really. Just read up, gather everything you'll potentially need before you even touch the cage, and pay attention, I'm sure you'll do great!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feel really annoyed at this but my mom has changed her mind about the Obt, she says "You need something less dangerous" so I guess I can't get it :/ . So, I will still be getting two new tarantulas just I don't know what. I will get a Gbb and a ??. So any suggestions? This really sucks, I wanted an Obt. So any suggestions? I want it to be preferably terrestrial, good amount of color, at least 4 inches fully grown minimum. And it has to be on swift inverts, price range:20$-70$. Any suggestions? I am so angry right now >:/

macbaffo

Arachnolord
R: Getting an Obt and Gbb!!!

Don't be. Delaying an obt means you will have more experience when you will get one.

Look Acanthoscurria sp. or Nhandu sp.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I feel really annoyed at this but my mom has changed her mind about the Obt, she says "You need something less dangerous" so I guess I can't get it :/ . So, I will still be getting two new tarantulas just I don't know what. I will get a Gbb and a ??. So any suggestions? This really sucks, I wanted an Obt. So any suggestions? I want it to be preferably terrestrial, good amount of color, at least 4 inches fully grown minimum. And it has to be on swift inverts, price range:20$-70$. Any suggestions? I am so angry right now >:/
Don't be angry. One day you will get an OBT and it will make the final acquisition all the better. :)
On Kelly's site some of my personal favorites that fit your criteria:
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Aphonopelma seemanni
Brachypelma smithi
Brachypelma vagans
Grammostola pulchripes
Nhandu coloratovillosus
Paraphysa scrofa

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I looked at the ones you posted and I the one that stuck out the most was the Aphonopelma seemanni, and the Paraphysa scrofa. Here are some others that I found on the site (not saying I will get these just saying depends on how they are on venom, care, etc.) Okay:Coremiocnemis brachyramosa, (This one looks awesome!:Maraca cabocla), I will look into the care on these, I am still pretty bummed about the Obt but at least I can try a different one!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P. scrofa doesn't get too big. They're not dwarfs, but not full-sized 'sedans' either. Definitely pretty and entertaining. :)
Coremiocnemis brachyramosa - I've considered these myself. Been able to talk myself out of it so far. LOL

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why did you talk your self out of it? The one I saw that is my favorite is the Maraca cabocla. I can't find any info on these either. Do you know anything about these cool little spiders?

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I talked myself out of it because I have way too many spiders already. :)
I haven't kept M. cabocla, either. Try doing a search on this site and see what you come up with.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A 2" OBT can be more than you're prepared to deal with, and it's something that can bolt out of it's cage in the blink of an eye and get loose. Do you really want mom getting nailed when she sits down on the couch? Wish lists and skill levels are two different things. Slow down, this isn't Beat The Clock.