Getting an Obt and Gbb!!!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How big of a tank will I need? Where can I get a tank? What if it molds? Sorry for the questions just never had a sling. lol

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also don't like asking lots of questions because I feel as it is rude and makes me feel uneducated. But I have never raised a sling so I am not sure on humidity and feeding and things.
You become educated by asking questions. It's much better to ask, "How do I do this?", than, "What did I do wrong?" Of course you will get a plethora of opinions...

IMO:
If you haven't opened/used the humidity gauge, take it back. That is money best spent elsewhere.
Most spiders are pretty tolerant of living in 'aberrant conditions', however, keep either of these species too damp and you will have dead spiders.
I don't mist/spray any of my arid enclosures, but I do trickle water down one side for slings once every few days or so. Once the spider reaches 1.0 inch DLS or bigger, I offer a plastic water bottle cap as a 'bowl'. I offer larger bowls as the spider grows.
I keep my OBTs and GBBs under almost identical conditions. While small, they can live in deli cups. When larger, GBBs get more arboreal setups, OBTs tallish terrestrial setups.
I hear tell of OBTs from Hades, but have yet to experience it from any of my own animals. They do teleport, however. You have to experience a teleporting spider to truly appreciate it. As someone else said, let them know you're coming and they are more inclined to hide than threat pose or teleport into the next county.
OBT slings are generally really inexpensive, GBBs are coming down in price compared to a few years ago, but still pricier than OBTs. Shop around.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, I found another side that has a 1/2 Obt as a freebie and all you have to do is spend $20.00 to get a freebie. They don't have a Gbb in stock yet though so I am waiting on that.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
Well, I found another side that has a 1/2 Obt as a freebie and all you have to do is spend $20.00 to get a freebie. They don't have a Gbb in stock yet though so I am waiting on that.
Would that happen to be Swift's? At any rate OBTs are supposedly very easy to breed and one of the most available spiders as slings in the hobby. Wouldn't pay more than 10 dollars for a sling personally. They grow quickly too.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, it does happen to be swifts XD, I am wanting them to get a Gbb sling in stock so I can get a Obt sling as a freebie. I messaged (her?)swifts and (she?) hasn't emailed my back yet.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
Kelly is a guy. A busy one at that, but I'm sure he will get back to you. Keep us updated on what you wind up getting. He has LOTS of choices.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well he emailed me and now I am just waiting on conformation from my mom to get an Obt. I am a little bit confused on buying them with PayPal, I will have to get my brother to buy it for me because I don't understand the "process" and my brother doesn't fully know either but he has at least ordered online. Can anyone explain to me the process in buying a T online? Also, hopefully soon I can have pictures in the near future of them.

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
It's super easy. Someone has to make a paypal account and put their bank account numbers in their info. It's totally secure and safe. Then when you check out, you pay through paypal and it comes right out of your bank account. Just add the T's to your cart, and email Kelly so he knows what freebie you want. He ships monday through wednesday I believe and you will recieve it the next day if you order by 9 a.m. Shipping is 30-55 for overnight depending on the site.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks! That really helps a lot. Now one more issue, deli cups. I am trying to find a place locally to get 16-32 oz. deli cups. I can't think of any place that will sell them. Do you know any chain stores that sell them or things similar? Like Wal-Mart, Sams club, etc. Also, my mom gave me the okay so that's why I need the deli cups. Thanks

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
I'd imagine you can find them at wal-mart or something of the like. But you can be creative with your enclosures. I have deli cups, tupperwear containers, seasoning jars with the labels taken off, etc. Anything with no big holes that can be closed tight.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I figure I will probably go to Wal-Mart and get a small clear bowl or something similar. I LOVE making the enclosures. The only thing I am waiting on is my brother to put my money into the PayPal account I will have spiders!! :D

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I will update as much as I can, also, I have forgotten to post photos of my G. Rosea, Would you like to see a pic or two?

Edit: I need to get new photos of it, so ignore that previous message, sorry.
But I will post photos of all my spiders soon. lol

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
re: deli cups - since you only need a couple, check with your local deli or grocery store with a deli. Usually they will just give them to you.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They just give them away? That will work greatly, I'll see about that.

Edit: Only thing I am waiting on to get the two slings is my brother to put my money in his PayPal account.

Last edited:

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been looking at a lot more bite reports of the P. murinus and I am getting a little iffy on getting this T. The reason I am having the second thoughts is because the severity of the bite symptoms. I am only 4'9, 13, and 80 pounds. I am having concern that if I get bit, I would have much worse symptoms than all of the adults that have posted their bite symptoms. It is more as I am afraid something would happen if I get bit because I am considerably um...well smaller in weight and height which I think would affect me more in venom. People got bit by opening the tank and it teleporting on to their arm and biting. How am I suppose to simply give it water without fear of it biting me and me having terrible pain and symptoms? :/

Psychocircus91

Arachnosquire
Be especially wary for the first couple days when it doesn't have an established hide. When it has its hide, as long as you make your presence known, it will hide rather than flee from the cage. The venom of OW t's shouldn't be taken lightly, but there have been no deaths. The most difficult part about owning Old world tarantulas is transfering them to a new enclosure.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I have been looking at a lot more bite reports of the P. murinus and I am getting a little iffy on getting this T. The reason I am having the second thoughts is because the severity of the bite symptoms. I am only 4'9, 13, and 80 pounds. I am having concern that if I get bit, I would have much worse symptoms than all of the adults that have posted their bite symptoms. It is more as I am afraid something would happen if I get bit because I am considerably um...well smaller in weight and height which I think would affect me more in venom. People got bit by opening the tank and it teleporting on to their arm and biting. How am I suppose to simply give it water without fear of it biting me and me having terrible pain and symptoms? :/
That is a very valid reason to be concern while no one has died from them to my knowledge their venom is nothing to joke about. That is why they are given the nickname obt. Personally if you having second thought then I would sell your obt. The is a species you can't be fearful of because eventually you will have to interact with it ie rehousing and if you don't the confidence with the species then if something goes wrong it could be painful for you.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have it yet but I would be fine rehousing it (maybe). Just stick a bowl over it and slide a lid under it. But I would have that constant thought of "What it darts up the tongs!"
I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks for the reply's.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I don't have it yet but I would be fine rehousing it (maybe). Just stick a bowl over it and slide a lid under it. But I would have that constant thought of "What it darts up the tongs!"
I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks for the reply's.
If you really want it then just don't tong feed him I never with mine. Their is one clear sign if its getting ready to molt it will seal it self in its burrow. So as long as you make sure its not in premolt you shouldn't have to worry about retrieving uneaten crickets.

Another thing to consider is giving it a bigger enclosure that will give you room to work with and also give him enough space that he won't feel trap in a corner